I think it's heat stroke. Help!

CLAMCC

Hatching
Oct 3, 2019
yesterday, 95 degree day. 9 of 10 chickens were hiding under the deck. #10, Pip, was in the lower level of the coop just lying there. She couldn't hold her head up. I brought her into my house with A/C. Easter egger without wattles or much comb. Her feet and chin were hot, so I put her feet in cool water int he kitchen sink to try to bring her temperature down. She drank a little, but I have to help her keep from drowning in a little water she has so little control of her head. She was fine when they all left the coop in the AM. I found her before 2pm. No apparent trauma. She spent the night in the house with me in a laundry basket. She seems to be breathing comfortably. Not stressed or just too sick to care. Still seems to be a little warm today, so I sat her in more cool water and let her skin absorb water this time to maybe get her more hydrated. Is there anything more I can be doing? I've had her for several weeks. She is a rehomed chicken and has not laid an egg for me yet, but is as big as any of my other easter eggers. I don't think she is an old chicken.

After a move, it is anybody's guess when laying will resume and now that days are getting shorter it may take till after winter solstice.
Keeping her cooler should help.
I had a Welsummer taken down by heat stress one summer that it stayed above 100 for a couple weeks. It even hit 110 a couple days. When I let them out in the morning she couldn't come out. She way laying in the shavings. I gave her a cool bath soaking all feathers to the skin. I then put her in a cage in the basement on a towel. The basement was probably 65F. After a few hours she was standing and by the next day she was up, perky and eating.
Then came my mistake. I put her back with the flock (in the heat) and the next day she was dead. I'm sure if I had kept her inside a few more days or till the heat spell was over she would have made it.
I normally don't recommend electrolytes for most things but I think she could benefit from them now and some Nutri-Drench couldn't hurt either. The main thing is that she drinks and stays indoors till she recovers.

Welcome to BYC. I also recommend that you give Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell a few drops up to 2 ml daily to give her a boost of electrolytes. Pedialyte and Gatorade can be used in a pinch. Hold a small scoop of water up to her beak often to get her to swallow some. Adding a lot of water to some feed can get more into her. Look around your coop and chicken area to see if it needs more shade, a faninside the coop to pull air through and out, and add more water. A shallow pan of water to stand in is good as well. Keep all water shaded, or make some shade.

Happy to report that I am seeing an improvement. Pip is sitting up and has more control of her head. I gave her egg yolk on my fingers earlier and later she stood up actively ate some egg yolk left on my plate after breakfast and is more alert. I am hopeful that she will make it, but I am not going to reintroduce her to the flock until she can run away from the bullies as fast as she used to. The heat spell is supposed to break by Saturday. Thank you all for you support and comments. My chickypoos free range, I have sprinklers that go off at different times of the day that refill dishes and puddles and the coop has a bucket with self filling cups. The backyard is shady and they love to go under the deck, so I was really surprised when only one showed up stressed and so sick. The lower level of the coop is an old cabinet with a screen door hung from hinges covered in a tarp that I keep open during the day propped open on a step ladder, so there is certainly enough shade and cool dirt and mud and water around. I'm wondering if she ate too many sunflower seeds without drinking enough water. Today was as hot as yesterday, so I filled up the wading pool just to be sure there was enough water out there for them.

Back
Top Bottom