I think its time we all do our part.

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by mr.mc., Nov 5, 2011.

1. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm considering doing a Budgie rescue at my local pet store. Come now peeps, TO THE PET STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    They'll only get more [​IMG]

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I think its a good idea!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Quote:Wait, I get it now. It's a good idea [​IMG]

5. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    YES put it on facebook and twiter and EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Spread the word!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    mr.mc. :

I'm considering doing a Budgie rescue at my local pet store.

If the store is not taking care of their animals, the worst thing you can do is 'rescue' them by buying their animals. Believe it or not, stores like that DEPEND on soft-hearted people purchasing dying animals to rescue them. They make a living off of people's emotions! They abuse animals and never get in trouble.

If the store loses money on certain animals, then they'll think twice about spending the $$$ to buy more to replace those that died.

I'm banned from one pet store in Farmington, MO because I told them exactly what I thought of their half-dead parakeets with poo caked on their bums w/no food or water with 40 crammed into a cage I would only comfortably house 1 bird in, their dead and dying veiled chameleons, feeding crickets to ball pythons, Columbian boas, Cali kings and sand boas, and actually believing that they're eating them, sand boas with 2 or 3 stuck on sheds that looked like death warmed over, turtles under 4", and illegal native animals for sale. They kicked me to the curb. I called F&W because they had native species for sale.... You cannot sell Missouri native species w/o a $250 breeder's permit and if you have that permit, you can only sell captive bred animals from animals you purchased out of state and you must have the receipt, and then you can only sell those species to other ppl who also have the $250 breeder's permit.

This store stopped selling puppies because they couldn't get rid of parvo. They stopped selling ferrets because of some feline disease they couldn't get rid of which proves that if they lose money on a species of animals they'll stop getting more to torture.​

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think that's why pet stores in St. Louis go out of business so fast and often.

8. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I would love to have a budgie avairy for people that throw them out after they get bored with them. Like a giant outside avairy would be nice.

9. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    I love birds dearly, which is why it breaks my heart to say that the worst thing that someone can do for birds is to 'rescue' from pet stores by paying them for abused, neglected, poorly bred (etc) parrots.

Yes, it will matter to the one individual bird. And that is a profound thing! To save and improve a life is not something to put down. Truly, this I know.
    But for every bird that someone rescues in this way, the store, the owners, the bad breeders... all they see is money. They don't feel bad for their actions. They are encouraged. And they will breed more.

I've worked in 3 different pet stores, two of which were the largest chain pet stores in the USA. Trust me, and it breaks my heart-- this only encourages the sale of even more poor birds.

If you want to rescue budgies, PLEASE check out any local rescues! Many rescues are full to overflowing with budgies, cockatiels, and other parrots that NEED homes and no one is making a profit on them!
    Just checking on petfinder, which is only one listing service: http://www.petfinder.com/breeds/Bird

10. SilkieGirl

SilkieGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Morristown
    Im not sure what you mean by this rescue, are you taking the budgies from the petstore or taking rescued budgies to the petstore for people to adopt? The pet store here is horrid and I would never buy a bird there, all mine came from people who decided they didnt want to care for them any longer, one lady came to us saying if we didnt take this amazon she had inheirited they were going to have it put down (he has been living with us for over 5 years amazing bird) and he was ridculously underweight and in poor health. I was told the poor bird was fed only sunflower seeds. There is a need for a bird rescue in pretty much every region but sadly there doesnt seem to be enough people interested in getting them started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by