I think my 10 week old chick has marek disease! What to do now?

Are there any young cockerels or roosters in the same run? Sometimes a young chick/pullet might get squashed by a cockerel trying to mate. This can lead to dislocation of the femur/hips and may appear similar to Mareks.

When did you last deworm her?
There are 2 roosters in the flock but they are both older than her.

The money situation here isn’t the best, so I’ve never dewormed my chickens.

Sorry about your chicken. From the description and photos, Mareks looks very possible. But we never know if one gets injured or if there is something else going on. A necropsy is possible in British Columbia, and the best way for you to confirm the disease, to know what to expect in the future. Here is a link to contact about a necropsy and to ask about price and how to get it done:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...ls-and-crops/animal-health/pathology-necropsy

I have had many birds that I’ve doctored over the years that I’ve put the time an patients into, and I don’t mind. But I don’t think she’s able to poop, she’s been trying and it’s not working. Is there any I could give her for that? And do you mean b-complex for humans?
Has she been able to poop yet?
What's her crop like?

If she's having trouble pooping, she may be constipated or her system is not working due to whatever is going on with her. You can give her 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil twice a day to help with constipation. Make sure she's drinking well and offer her wet feed.

I don't think this is the cause of her having the splits, but was she not having difficulties walking beforehand? Maybe limping a bit?

Her toe is curled under and the nail is quite long, I would make an assumption that made it very uncomfortable to walk. The foot pad looks like it's breaking down as well. Give the foot a wash up to get a better look at it.

And yes. I mean B-Complex for humans:)
6ce26f3d-c1e8-4db6-a1cf-d86a7ac0a4b2-jpeg.2913274

Has she been able to poop yet?
What's her crop like?

If she's having trouble pooping, she may be constipated or her system is not working due to whatever is going on with her. You can give her 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil twice a day to help with constipation. Make sure she's drinking well and offer her wet feed.

I don't think this is the cause of her having the splits, but was she not having difficulties walking beforehand? Maybe limping a bit?

Her toe is curled under and the nail is quite long, I would make an assumption that made it very uncomfortable to walk. The foot pad looks like it's breaking down as well. Give the foot a wash up to get a better look at it.

And yes. I mean B-Complex for humans:)
6ce26f3d-c1e8-4db6-a1cf-d86a7ac0a4b2-jpeg.2913274
Yes she did poop. And its not runny.
She’s been drinking and has been eating the oats I’ve been giving her. I can’t feel anything in her crop, but she also hadn’t eaten for a while.
I didn’t notice anything, but could I have stepped on her feet? Or would that not cause this? Yesterday morning she was fine, but in the evening she was sitting in the corner.
Ok I will do that😀
So would I be able to give her some of a soft gel?

She’s been drinking and has been eating the oats I’ve been giving her. I can’t feel anything in her crop, but she also hadn’t eaten for a while.
Does she have chick starter to eat? A nutritionally balanced poultry feed is what she needs to be eating.
could I have stepped on her feet?
Did you step on her?

Give her the whole soft gel.

Does she have chick starter to eat? A nutritionally balanced poultry feed is what she needs to be eating.

Did you step on her?

Give her the whole soft gel.
No I don’t. We combined oats this year and my dad said that’s what we would be using for chicken feed so they only had chick starter for about the first 4 weeks.
The chicks try to eat the snow on my boots, and while I’m walking through the coop they get under my feet some times, but I’ve never seen one limp after.
Ok, so just take the gel stuff out of the tablet?

Oats by themselves are not a good chicken feed. They do not contain the right amounts of protein and other nutrients, vitamins and minerals. They need a commercial balanced chicken feed for the right amounts of nutrients. There are affordable balanced chicken feeds at most feed stores. Read this article about how feeding oats can be harmful:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-shocking-effect-of-oatmeal/

Back
Top Bottom