I think my 10 week old chick has marek disease! What to do now?

We combined oats this year and my dad said that’s what we would be using for chicken feed so they only had chick starter for about the first 4 weeks.

Ok, so just take the gel stuff out of the tablet?
No, just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.

I agree, oats by themselves are not nutritionally sound enough for chickens, especially if they are confined.
Can you get commercial chick starter or an all flock feed to feed your whole flock. An all flock feed you wouldn't have to worry about ages of the birds.
Being deficient in nutrition can cause a lot of problems, loss in production (hens not laying eggs), developmental issues, poor overall health, etc.

Speak with your Dad and see if you both can come up with a better solution on feed.

Would that also be the reason my hens don’t give me eggs? They do get calcium on the side.
Yes, it would also affect that. Their very poor diet is causing them to be malnourished, and so they're not wasting any nutrition on egg-making.
Please feed your chickens real food. Explain to your parents that the food you are giving them is causing them to be sick and have poor production.

Back
Top Bottom