I think my adorable puppy killed a chicken :(

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your chicken. At four months your pup should still have his puppy teeth. Those alone will tear up a chicken really well. Given his age I wouldn't trust him to police himself alone with the chickens. Even if he does well with the chickens now, once he matures it might be a different story. As far as the barking what I've seen is the dog will bark to get the chicken excited and moving, chase and unintentionally kill the chicken as it's running away and then bark again to get the chicken excited and moving again. Dogs will do what has given them success in the past. If it was rewarding to kill the chicken then the behavior will continue until it's effectively corrected. Most folks correct way too late and the dog doesn't make the correlation that it was the hurting the chicken that caused the correction. My advice is to not leave the puppy out by itself. I wouldn't risk losing a chicken. I personally wouldn't leave any dog out unless I can call the dog off a rabbit, squirrel, deer, etc and perform a down while in motion.

More chickens and other domestic poultry and rabbits are killed by adorable puppies and adult dogs that "would never do that!" than any other kind of predator. You just can't trust an animal whose instinct is to hunt and kill to do anything else--if you want them to coexist you have to protect the chickens and/or restrain the dog. I'm sure there are going to be posters that will say otherwise but, having had everything from hunting dogs to mutts in my life, I'll stand by it.

Well he is not going to be allowed alone around the chickens anymore, that is for sure. That was my bad.

After a lot of thought, I really do not think he did this. I just can't see him consuming the head, breast, body and innards of the chicken, especially since he had not a spot of blood on him. I just dont think he could be hungry enough to eat all that, it was a large chicken and he is not all that big right now.

Either way, I will know because he is going to be watched every second he is outside, if there is still chicken murders going on I know we have another problem.

Does it sound like a racoon, fox, or what?? All that was left of the chicken was its legs and part of its back. I just don't picture my little puppy devouring the chicken like that... if the chicken had been killed and untouched I would still think it was him, but now I am not so sure.
hmm.png

I hope it was not the pup too. Since the chickens head and other parts are gone, i would look closley at the pups poop.
sickbyc.gif
I know gross, but i'd think some of the chickens parts would be identifiable in his waste. Good luck, either way you have a problem, i just hope it's not with the one you love.

Quote:
Good idea, unfortunately I am right there for almost every poop and so far nothing unusual. Just lots of stinky stinky puppy poop.

PunkinPeep wrote: I don't know how big your puppy is, but i think it's entirely possible that he was just playing with the best tasting chew toy EVER. Give him another chance.

I do realize the situation isn't funny...but that comment was!
yuckyuck.gif

By what you described from your puppies behavior when your boyfriend found him with the chicken...he didn't act "guilty". He probably thought he was doing a good job by bringing it to your attention! We all know puppies will eat anything, but to eat that much in 20 minutes? Through the feathers and all? I wouldn't think it likely from a pup...but anything is possible. You know your dogs best. It sounds like a sneaky predator...oppossum maybe?​

Last edited:
If you still have the chicken, tie it around the puppy's neck for a week. He will never hurt the chickens again after that because he won't want something dead getting in his way.

I just paid $342 to have my 16 week old BO, Sophie, stitched up at the 911 vet a few days ago. She was "egging" on our dog by running after her and then giving the dog the "hairy eyeball." Dog had enough, grabbed the chicken and shook her a few times before dropping her. We still trust our dog around the Ladies. DH says that Sophie will have to lay 136.8 dozen eggs to pay her vet bill. Sophie is doing great (4 days after the incident), is eating and drinking like nothing ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom