* I think my boss is sick *

Cassandra

Ranger Rick
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Southwest Mississippi
Well, really I'm sure he's sick, I just don't know what's wrong with him.

He came in an hour late this morning. (Not entirely unheard of. He IS the boss, after all.) He got here and his son (my other boss) went out to help him get some office supplies out of the car and bring them in. While Sr. was still outside and Jr. was inside he said, "Daddy's being hard headed. He's having chest pains and he won't go to the doctor."

And Jr. told me to keep an ear out for Sr. today. Since my office is right by his. Like, "if you here him hit the floor in there, call 911!" (in a half joking way)

Well, Jr. had to leave to go to an assignment and Sr. puts a call in to his doctor. The doctor calls back and sets him up a 1:15 appointment today. But he had me get his doctor on the phone about 20 minutes later and I heard him tell the girl he couldn't make it, it hurt too bad. So, Jr.'s wife was here and he got her to drive him to the E.R.

Then, just now, a lady comes by to pick up her girls (that were in the Jr's wife's office next door) and she told me that Sr. was at the E.R. and they think he is having a heart attack.

!!!!

Aside from being really nervous about his health, I'm a little ... disappointed ... that he never even said anything to me about it. I know that's supid. The old guy is as tough as nails. I have known him to sit in his office and work over several days while he was in the process of passing a kidney stone. He doesn't run to the doctor easily. And he and I have a sturdy working relationship, and that's all. I realize that he is of the opinion (correctly so) that I am the secretary and it is my duty to man my post here no matter what.

And I'm the only employee. So now the whole family is probably wringing their hands at the E.R. and I'm wringing my hands here at the office all by myself. I hope they will call and give me an update soon. He is going to be 65 next month, btw. He always jokes that he is one day older than me because his birthday is the day before mine.

Cassandra (wringing hands)

I will pray, too~~You are a great employee and friend.
hugs.gif

Try not to worry (I can't believe that's me saying that!~~I am the Queen of Worry sometimes!!) But really, they can do a lot for heart problems today, I understand.
smile.png

I hope he does OK! I'll say a little prayer for your boss!

And this is just more proof that when you are having chest pains, or other signs of a stroke or heart attack, you should NOT wait hoping it will go away. You should get medical help ASAP.

If it is a heart attack, the pain is the heart muscle suffering from lack of oxygen. Minutes really do count between the amount of damage and severity of the heart attack, and the chances and ease of recovery.

Here's a great website to know the signs of heart attack or stroke:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3053

I just heard back that he definitely had (is having?) a heart attack and they are going to stabalize him and transport him to another hospital. We live in a smallish town and they are sending him to a bigger facility in the capital.

From what the hospital said, they don't see that his heart has sustained any damage. So that's good. Everyone expects he is going to be alright. I guess now we just wait.

Cassandra

IMO the best way for you to help right now, is for the family to know (without a shadow of a doubt) that you looking after things in the office and not to worry on that end, schedules have been freed up and you'll only be contacting for a dire emergency that you aren't prepared to handle.

As a business owner, employees that can handle things temporarily or in emergency situations are worth their weight in gold...and good help is VERY hard to find. I'm sure they know how much you care and how worried you are, they are just confident in your abilities and don't feel the need to check in on you.

I'm glad that it looks good for your Sr. boss. I'm sure everything will be fine in time.

Wow, everyone better count their blessings that they got to the E.R when they did!! That was some luck! I will keep him, his family and you in my thoughts! Like I said, he was really lucky they caught it early!

Back
Top Bottom