I think my chick is a turkey

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Conjomen, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Conjomen

Conjomen Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2017
    I really hope you guys can help me. Please excuse my writing English is not my first language.
    My son found an egg at a pound where people dump thier unwanted animals.(theres ducks chickens and geese no turkeys) It was a blue easter egger type egg. My kids and I have wanted to raise chickens for eggs for a very long time. We decided to incubate the found egg.I also bought fertile eggs from 2 different farms to incubate. All total we ended up hatching 6 chicks including the one my son found at the pond. Sorry for the long story I just wanted everyone to have the whole picture.
    I'm almost positive that one of the eggs we hatched from the bought eggs is a turkey. I'm hoping one of you can tell me if it is. It's name is Turkey right now but if it's a turkey its name will become chicken...the rest of the babies are named Silver,Shadow,Knuckles, Nugget and Junior. Thanks for looking and I appreciate any help! Also please excuse the state of the cage I took these pictures right before cleaning time...and I'm sure you all know how messy 6 chicks are...whether it's a chicken or a turkey we really love these little guys, so it'll be living with us in the yard. Only difference is that I know absolutely nothing about raising turkeys so I'm going to have to learn....I had chickens and ducks years ago so I'm pretty confident that I can take care of a turkey too...but any advice is highly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Wickedchicken6 likes this.
  2. 13ChickenGirl

13ChickenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    IMG_4167.JPG IMG_4173.JPG IMG_4176.JPG Does it have a little knob on its head? Here are some pics of my turkey babies.

Conjomen likes this.
  3. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I looked at your three posted pictures and I can guarantee you that there are not any turkey poults in any of those three photos.

ECSandCCFS and Conjomen like this.
  4. Conjomen

Conjomen Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2017

Attached Files:

13ChickenGirl likes this.
  5. 13ChickenGirl

13ChickenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    Hmmm... you can tell by my pics that the turkeys do not have combs or wattles until a MUCH older age. Does yours have a comb?

Conjomen likes this.
  6. Conjomen

Conjomen Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2017
    No. Just a little lump on the top of his head. I tried to upload better pictures but somehow I posted the only one I didn't want.
    I just saw your reply. He may just be bigger than the other chicks. I haven't raised any kind of fowl in a long time so I'm out of practice. Thank you.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    @Conjomen

that is not a turkey poult

It looks like an Easter Egger, a mix of Ameraucana and any other breed, likely a large chicken breed, hence it is larger.

LofMc

8. Conjomen

Conjomen Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2017
    Thanks! I guess his name is Turkey then!
    I appreciate all the answers.
    So I guess I'm just introducing every one to my little flock...

Wickedchicken6 likes this.
  9. Conjomen

Conjomen Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by