I think my chicken ate a Rattlesnake. Are the eggs safe?

msollars

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I've only had my flock for 4 months, so I am definitely still learning.

I was out picking green beans today, and the chickens were having a blast in there with me. All of a sudden one of them dashed into where I was picking and pulled out what first appeared to be a large worm. Of course living in the country, I knew better. She saved me from possibly getting bit, and found a snack. If it was a rattler, and assuming she doesn't die from eating it (in one gulp almost!), are the eggs going to be safe to eat? I read on here that you are not supposed to feed them onions/garlic for fear of making the eggs taste like that. Doesn't seem like rattlesnake poison would be good for the eggs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

104945_chicken.jpg

Chances are very high that this was not a rattlesnake. It is so small that if it were a rattlesnake, there would be several more in the near vicinity. I would not worry about your eggs. Chickens digest very well everything they eat which turns into fabulous eggs. Besides.... ever eat rattlesnake? Tastes like chicken!
yippiechickie.gif

I suppose they eat anything they can catch in their yard when I'm at work. So its probably nor the first time it happened, it's just the first time I've seen it.

Thanks everybody for the speedy replies. I really appreciate it.

Mike

Rattlesnake venom is not toxic if ingested, has to be injected into the blood to be effective and your eggs will be fine. The snake in the photo is too thin bodied to be a rattlesnake in my opinion and we see allot here in Arizona....

Back
Top Bottom