I think my chicken ate a Rattlesnake. Are the eggs safe?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msollars, Aug 27, 2011.

1. msollars

msollars New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I've only had my flock for 4 months, so I am definitely still learning.

I was out picking green beans today, and the chickens were having a blast in there with me. All of a sudden one of them dashed into where I was picking and pulled out what first appeared to be a large worm. Of course living in the country, I knew better. She saved me from possibly getting bit, and found a snack. If it was a rattler, and assuming she doesn't die from eating it (in one gulp almost!), are the eggs going to be safe to eat? I read on here that you are not supposed to feed them onions/garlic for fear of making the eggs taste like that. Doesn't seem like rattlesnake poison would be good for the eggs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

[​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

The eggs will be fine.

edited to add; [​IMG] from Mississippi! So glad you joined us. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  3. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Chances are very high that this was not a rattlesnake. It is so small that if it were a rattlesnake, there would be several more in the near vicinity. I would not worry about your eggs. Chickens digest very well everything they eat which turns into fabulous eggs. Besides.... ever eat rattlesnake? Tastes like chicken! [​IMG]

4. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    [​IMG] Chicken eats snake, but snake tastes like chicken. I think I just went cross-eyed.

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mike, you should be ok. [​IMG] Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  6. tinychickies

tinychickies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    It looks like a big worm to me, or maybe a centipede?

7. msollars

msollars New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    I suppose they eat anything they can catch in their yard when I'm at work. So its probably nor the first time it happened, it's just the first time I've seen it.

Thanks everybody for the speedy replies. I really appreciate it.

Mike

8. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    Quote:HaHa....love it!!! Ur safe....welcome to the group!! [​IMG]

9. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Mike & Welcome----

What a great picture----was that a chicken eating a snake on a different occasion, or did you have camera at hand when in the garden? I Love your chicken, she is beautiful.

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Rattlesnake venom is not toxic if ingested, has to be injected into the blood to be effective and your eggs will be fine. The snake in the photo is too thin bodied to be a rattlesnake in my opinion and we see allot here in Arizona....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by