I think my chicken is dying. what can I do for her?

Yes on the human probiotic tablets. They will replace the good bacteria that control the levels of naughty bacteria in the intestines. Giving a tablet twice a day for the duration of the antibiotic would be helpful.

Try to interest her in eggs. You might also try canned mackerel or tuna or salmon. A little rice is okay, but the proteins would be good to balance it.
I think Cordy's starting to slip away, and that I may need to have her euthanized. I just don't know how to tell when she's ready--I don't want to give up on her but I also don't want to prolong her suffering. She's stopped being interested in even her favorite foods, no longer wants to free range/scratch around, and now spends most of her time fluffed up and sleeping with her head and wings hanging down. No longer roosting as far as I can tell. She's alert to sound and will drink and amble around when prompted, but it's clear she's miserable.

What's hard is that my EE, over a year ago, was quite literally on death's door from a similar issue (EYP)--even the vet was convinced she was a goner. But I held off on giving up and she had a miraculous 180 degree recovery after a month of hanging in by a thread, and looking like a zombie chicken. She's now vibrant as ever and still laying like a champ. I want to give Cordy the same chances, but also feel deep down that she's not interested in fighting.

My EE was unable to empty her crop for that whole month until the sudden turnaround. Her poop looked terrible the whole time. But she didn't have the ascites like Cordy does. Yet, Cordy's crop empties fine (though her poop looks terrible).

All this to say, how do you know you're making the best decision? How can you throw in the towel without feeling like you gave up on or failed your chicken? And, is it best to let her fade peacefully with her flock around (she's the queen, so they don't bother her), or to have her euthanized? If only I could know what she would want.

You can, of course, euthanize at any point in a chicken's illness, even if it's early when symptoms begin to show. Many people choose not to wait to see if the illness is contagious or terminal or even try to diagnose, not wishing to spend time on treatments and supportive care. It's an individual flock management decision, neither right or wrong.

Those of us who are attached to the individuals in our flocks tend to be stubborn and willing to try to diagnose and treat and to render supportive care until a bird shows no further signs of improvement.

The way I decide when to euthanize is when I've tried every treatment for what I think may be making the chicken sick. As treatment progresses, I watch for daily signs of improvement or decline. I have a sense which way my patient is going. If the patient is on an antibiotic, I know that if it's going to work, it will show signs of working in the first 48 hours. After than, I look for signs of daily improvement. If there is no improvement but the patient is staying stable, I continue.

I watch for signs of weakness from dehydration and poor appetite and I begin tube feeding. If that doesn't cause immediate improvement, I stop it. If it improves the patient, I then try to offer foods that will interest her. I look for a trend of improvement.

If there is no improvement, but a steady decline, I euthanize at the point where the chicken is not eating or drinking or moving about and is overall depressed and uninterested in her surroundings.

When a chicken sits with her eyes shut, not moving, not eating, or if she's on her side with eyes shut, death is imminent. I will then euthanize at that point.

The antibiotic can be causing this diarrhea. And it can be aggravated by giving her fruits and veggies to eat.

Try withholding all high fiber foods except her regular feed, and also give her a probiotic tablet each day. Avoid yogurt or keifer because the milk in them can aggravate diarrhea.

See if doing those things stops the runs.
Wanted to add that I believe that fermented dairy products that contain probiotics, ( ex. Kefir) have a probiotic strain that actually makes it harder for the gut come back after antibiotics. Soil based probiotics are best. :)

All this to say, how do you know you're making the best decision? How can you throw in the towel without feeling like you gave up on or failed your chicken? And, is it best to let her fade peacefully with her flock around (she's the queen, so they don't bother her), or to have her euthanized? If only I could know what she would want.
I'm sorry your having to deal with this, questionable euthanasia is is the worst feeling, your always concerned you'll make the "wrong" decision.
Jsut remember that its never the wrong decision. Your the only person who is actually there with Cordy, and who can actually tell what is going on exactly. You will make a correct decision. I'm one to hold one until the end, until they give up or I know they can't recover, just encase I get even the tiniest reason not to give up.
If she were mine, I may hold on a bit longer. I agree with what @azygous said, try every possible treatment and look for just a sliver of improvement.
Try giving her a direct dose of Nutri Drench if you haven't already, and I don't want to say stop the antibiotics since they're the only thing thats helping fight the infection, but they are also taking a major toll on her immune system since the largest part is the gut.

Overall, you will make the right decision in the end. Can you get a tube feeding kit? Getting some real food in her may help her improve. You'll be able to give probiotics as well.
I'm sending wishes your way and crossing my fingers for your dear Cordy. 💕

I'm sorry about your hen. Have you treated for parasites and have you had her droppings checked for worms at the vet? I would also suggest an x-ray.
For the antibiotic, you might want to have the vet try SMZ TMP instead of the other antibiotic. If they can order you some Emeraid, Omnivore IC, it works very well. You can drizzle it from a spoon in front of her and see if she will take it. I do feel like there is not enough info to make a best guess diagnosis of her condition(s). Please keep us posted with as many details as possible.
Best wishes and I hope she recovers for you!

You can, of course, euthanize at any point in a chicken's illness, even if it's early when symptoms begin to show. Many people choose not to wait to see if the illness is contagious or terminal or even try to diagnose, not wishing to spend time on treatments and supportive care. It's an individual flock management decision, neither right or wrong.

Those of us who are attached to the individuals in our flocks tend to be stubborn and willing to try to diagnose and treat and to render supportive care until a bird shows no further signs of improvement.

The way I decide when to euthanize is when I've tried every treatment for what I think may be making the chicken sick. As treatment progresses, I watch for daily signs of improvement or decline. I have a sense which way my patient is going. If the patient is on an antibiotic, I know that if it's going to work, it will show signs of working in the first 48 hours. After than, I look for signs of daily improvement. If there is no improvement but the patient is staying stable, I continue.

I watch for signs of weakness from dehydration and poor appetite and I begin tube feeding. If that doesn't cause immediate improvement, I stop it. If it improves the patient, I then try to offer foods that will interest her. I look for a trend of improvement.

If there is no improvement, but a steady decline, I euthanize at the point where the chicken is not eating or drinking or moving about and is overall depressed and uninterested in her surroundings.

When a chicken sits with her eyes shut, not moving, not eating, or if she's on her side with eyes shut, death is imminent. I will then euthanize at that point.
I fall in the "stubborn and willing to try" camp--for better or worse. It's been tough because she goes from plateauing, to declining, to getting a bit better from one day to the next. And never quite appears to have given up. I'm glad for your message, and that I held off another day, because she is still clearly enjoying her days, even if she's sleepy some of the time. I'm sure the medications take a toll on her, too, even if they are fighting her infection. I'll post an update for all the kind folks commenting. Thank you.

Wanted to add that I believe that fermented dairy products that contain probiotics, ( ex. Kefir) have a probiotic strain that actually makes it harder for the gut come back after antibiotics. Soil based probiotics are best. :)
would soil-based be the contents of a human probiotic capsule? I also have bene-bac probiotic powder for birds/cats/dogs.

I'm sorry your having to deal with this, questionable euthanasia is is the worst feeling, your always concerned you'll make the "wrong" decision.
Jsut remember that its never the wrong decision. Your the only person who is actually there with Cordy, and who can actually tell what is going on exactly. You will make a correct decision. I'm one to hold one until the end, until they give up or I know they can't recover, just encase I get even the tiniest reason not to give up.
If she were mine, I may hold on a bit longer. I agree with what @azygous said, try every possible treatment and look for just a sliver of improvement.
Try giving her a direct dose of Nutri Drench if you haven't already, and I don't want to say stop the antibiotics since they're the only thing thats helping fight the infection, but they are also taking a major toll on her immune system since the largest part is the gut.

Overall, you will make the right decision in the end. Can you get a tube feeding kit? Getting some real food in her may help her improve. You'll be able to give probiotics as well.
I'm sending wishes your way and crossing my fingers for your dear Cordy. 💕
Thank you for your kind and helpful words. I have been giving her nutri-drench, but mixed into her force feeding. Maybe I will try direct dose next. The probiotics I've added to her treatment has seemed to help her a bit--I'm sure like you said it's all taking a toll on her.

I may look into a feeding kit--it intimidates me, though I've seen vets do it successfully and I know it looks harder than it is on them. Right now we've been feeding her "mash torpedos" (lol this is what my husband calls them). They are moistened globs of chicken crumbles with a little bit of peanut butter, molded into the shape of little torpedos. We open her beak, place one in, close it, and she swallows it. She's drinking on her own and tolerating the force feedings well. They seem to have perked her up.

Thanks again for the warm message :)

I'm sorry about your hen. Have you treated for parasites and have you had her droppings checked for worms at the vet? I would also suggest an x-ray.
For the antibiotic, you might want to have the vet try SMZ TMP instead of the other antibiotic. If they can order you some Emeraid, Omnivore IC, it works very well. You can drizzle it from a spoon in front of her and see if she will take it. I do feel like there is not enough info to make a best guess diagnosis of her condition(s). Please keep us posted with as many details as possible.
Best wishes and I hope she recovers for you!
While the same vet has recommended x-rays for previous chickens, he seemed dead set that it was a massive reproductive infection (EYP) based on her exam and ascites. My flock is actually mid-treatment for roundworms via Valbazen. Their second dose is due tomorrow, but I was worried about it putting my sick hen over the edge since she isn't digesting well--do you think she'll tolerate it okay?

Great idea about the Emeraid! I completely forgot about that, but had used it in the past with great results. I will order some right away.

Thank you so much for the helpful pointers and good vibes :)

Back
Top Bottom