I think my chicken is dying. what can I do for her?

Great ideas! She has gone broody once before so she has it in her. I will try anything and everything! I was also thinking of limiting sunlight to induce a molt or at least keep her from laying. That works for my EE, though the underpinning issues are different (overproductive layer v. internal layer). It's hard to keep her in the dark now because she so clearly thrives most being with her flock, and I think that encourages her to get better a bit more.
Totally. I would definitely wait until she recovers to induce molting or “force” brooding.
Its hoof you have both options though. :D

Its really great that she isn't declining! Congrats on keeping her healthy and willing.
Its such a great sign that se sunbathing, roosting and foraging, that is a sure sign that she is feeling better, and has the will recover. ☺️
The green poop could be a side affect of the medications, she's getting nourishment so I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of the meds.
That's what I'm hoping! She has a will to recover EXCEPT for when we are force-feeding her. :barnie Then she acts like she'd rather die trying not not to recover lol. She really fights! "What, are you trying to kill me with these life-saving meds? How DARE you try to give me nutrients, peasant."

That's what I'm hoping! She has a will to recover EXCEPT for when we are force-feeding her. :barnie Then she acts like she'd rather die trying not not to recover lol. She really fights! "What, are you trying to kill me with these life-saving meds? How DARE you try to give me nutrients, peasant."
I think thats a good sign to lol! She has enough will and strength to make it very clear what she doesn't like hahahah!

Thank you! I will try anything and everything. She is doing a good but better but her abx course is ending soon, so I'm worried about what's next...
It might be a good thing that its ending. Antibiotics do take a major toll on the gut, 90% of the immune system, which will make it harder for her to fight it. You may want to find a source of soil based probiotics for her, as those will act fastest. I know that Dogs Naturally sells an all natural, organic probiotic supplement in powder form. Its a 30 day supply for a medium sized "dog", but I'm sure the dosage could be adjusted and it would last you forever. I use it for my dogs and love it!

If the course of antibiotics ends, and you think she's still declining, you could always try a natural antibiotic like oil of oregano. In the article I read about using it for dogs, it uses an example about a chicken farmer who used it on his flock since they were "No antibiotics ever". Intreating read, maybe worth a try? :confused:
I can link the article here if your interested in that.

It might be a good thing that its ending. Antibiotics do take a major toll on the gut, 90% of the immune system, which will make it harder for her to fight it. You may want to find a source of soil based probiotics for her, as those will act fastest. I know that Dogs Naturally sells an all natural, organic probiotic supplement in powder form. Its a 30 day supply for a medium sized "dog", but I'm sure the dosage could be adjusted and it would last you forever. I use it for my dogs and love it!

If the course of antibiotics ends, and you think she's still declining, you could always try a natural antibiotic like oil of oregano. In the article I read about using it for dogs, it uses an example about a chicken farmer who used it on his flock since they were "No antibiotics ever". Intreating read, maybe worth a try? :confused:
I can link the article here if your interested in that.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm currently using up bene-bac small animal probiotic powder. I'll try the dogs naturally next--sounds like it might be more cost effective. My vet is actually recommending one more round of antibiotics for better or worse... Sadly they've been so delayed with calling it in that cordy might be without for a couple days in the interim. But maybe it'll be a good break.

I remember when my EE was recovering from EYP she seemed to bounce back miraculously AS SOON AS she finished her abx. I always wondered if it was hard on her stomach, so going off it made her appetite spring back.

What is the recommended dosage for oregano oil? I'd be happy to read the article! Colloidal silver has worked well for me as an alternative, too (which I believe was what kept Corey's issue at bay for so long), but it's not something she could be on longterm.

Also she's doing great and is way more energetic. Her face is paler now which indicates she may have stopped laying and might be headed towards a molt :fl Her swelling is down though still there--not sure what to do about getting whatever it is out of her. I can't afford surgery when just an exploratory procedure alone would be 800 bucks.

Lastly, while she's not into her feed yet she hoovers clover when free ranging which is good (natural diuretic!).

20210930_165834(0).jpg

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm currently using up bene-bac small animal probiotic powder. I'll try the dogs naturally next--sounds like it might be more cost effective. My vet is actually recommending one more round of antibiotics for better or worse... Sadly they've been so delayed with calling it in that cordy might be without for a couple days in the interim. But maybe it'll be a good break.

I remember when my EE was recovering from EYP she seemed to bounce back miraculously AS SOON AS she finished her abx. I always wondered if it was hard on her stomach, so going off it made her appetite spring back.

What is the recommended dosage for oregano oil? I'd be happy to read the article! Colloidal silver has worked well for me as an alternative, too (which I believe was what kept Corey's issue at bay for so long), but it's not something she could be on longterm.
I'll link the article here, you want to make sure that you down use Essential oil, hence the reason the article calls it oil of oregano, so you don't accidentally buy essential oil.
I think the couple days will be a good break. I'm all for natural treatments, so holding off will be a good chance for you to see her med free, and make a decision as to whether or not you think she needs to second round.
Colloidal silver, I'll have to keep that in mind! Good to know!
Natural antibiotics alternatives
Probiotic supplements
Which probiotics work best, and which to choose

Also she's doing great and is way more energetic. Her face is paler now which indicates she may have stopped laying and might be headed towards a molt :fl Her swelling is down though still there--not sure what to do about getting whatever it is out of her. I can't afford surgery when just an exploratory procedure alone would be 800 bucks.

Lastly, while she's not into her feed yet she hoovers clover when free ranging which is good (natural diuretic!).

View attachment 2852166
Yay! This is great! Maybe try soaking her feed until its a soupy mash, and mix some of the things she does like to eat into it. Then she will at the very least be eating some of her feed when he picks out the yummy stuff. Maybe she'll be more interested in a mash as well?
I don't think surgery is a good idea. With as much as she's been through, and the fact that she's just recovering, surgery could push her over the edge. Sedation alone is very dangerous for chickens. She also seems to be improving rather then declining without surgery, so as long as she continues I don't think its necessary.
You said its inflammation correct? She may benefit from some antiinflamtory foods, Dogs Naturally has some good articles, you can probably just type it into the search bar on they website, and I bet you'll get some material to read.
Great job, this is an awesome report! So glad she's starting to do better!

Back
Top Bottom