I think my chicken may actually be a T-Rex?

So if she is indeed a she and has gone broody, will she always be this way? Or is it just a phase that comes and goes?

Some hens just turn out mean. I have one that I raised as an only chick, who now tries to be domineering over me sometimes, but she still knows I'm the boss. When she starts growling and pecking at me, I pick her up and hold her, and she stops. Sometimes I think she just tries to be naughty to see what she can get away with.

When a bird bites me, I peck them back .....pronto and with exuberance!!
Rap her on the head with the ends of your thumb and couple fingers.
If that doesn't work, I push her down firmly with one hand on her back and the other grabbing some feathers at the back of the neck until she submits. That usually does the trick.

Yes, a broody can be mean, but must remember that it is a protective instinct. However, I use gloves to monitor the "mean broody" when candling or inspecting the eggs during the set. AND I usually do not let them raise their chicks, as they will be wild while being brooded. Like to have several hens due to hatch at the same time, as then I can give chicks to lovely mother-hens, who will brood sweet quiet chicks. You cannot stop her protective instinct--but I would try to discipline a cross hen that is part of the flock. They usually will just learn that you are boss, and not bother you--but may still be aggressive with "strangers". Chickens are individuals, even in large flocks , and dear favorites will show themselves! Like them best!

Yes I have definitely given her a few firm (but not too hard) flicks to prove that I'm the boss, but she recovers quickly and just gets mad about it. Now I just pick her up and talk gently to her which usually helps a little. Any word on if she looks like a rooster?

I introduced two hens to my roo and hen. One was an EE and had no agression. The other is my BR. She slammed my Dom to the ground like WWE. She also pecked the EE and pulled her tail feathers/pecked at her butt. The EE would perch high during most of the day to avoid her. Now, just a short time layee EVERYONE is happy and healthy. So, i think they can change....
At 6+ months yours is a hen. A rooster would look and act like one by now, crowing, mating, etc...

Looks like a cockerel to me, in which case, not likely that you will be able to change the temperament! I do not keep aggressive boys, unless I want a few chicks by them before they are re homed (some chaps think it is funny--I DO NOT!) Or Sunday dinner if you have a butcher in the family--I do not, but have a friend who would do the job. I do not mind the plucking, cleaning, but do not dispatch them. No need to put up with a bad actor when there can be so much pleasure in a flock of beautiful chickens!! Good luck.....

Howdy sumerr

I am definitely not an expert on gender but I am not convinced either way if she is a she or a he.

While there are always exceptions to the rule, if she is a she and has not started laying yet, I doubt that she is broody .. just cranky
wink.png

I totally echo JeanR’s comments regarding aggressive broodies rearing neurotic chicks! I have an aggressive broody who I let raise one hatch; never again! Because she freaked out and carried on even when I was feeding them or changing water etc, she raised some pretty flighty, untrusting babies. My gentler, more calm broodys have raised calm and friendly babies.

I do not have any roosters but my gals can get a bit cranky and mean with each other when broody .. I find a squirt with a water pistol breaks it up pretty quickly. I usually do not aim it directly at them, just in the general direction. Any squabbles now I only have to pick up the water pistol and they stop
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom