I think my chicken's eggs are making me sick

bnclachicas

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
Not sure how this works, but I ve got a question. I have about 20 chickens they are all in good health from what i can tell. I consider them to be free range i guess. They are in a large fence area with plenty of grass and a I let them out reguraly in whole yard. So they can do what they do best getting pest etc. So I have had these chickens for a year and have been eating there eggs with no problems but here lately the last time and today when I ate them( my mom, and my kids) didnt get sick, but I did very badly!!! I had some of my chickens in a local fair recently and they was tested for a virus or somethin not sure, everything was okay for them to be in fair. I havent wormed them yet. I can cook with eggs such as mixing with a meat loaf or coating for a breading to stick and use in cake mixes etc, havent noticed any issues there, so it seems to be scrambled eggs are the culprit. I really liked eggs so I bummed if now I cant eat them. I havent eaten store bought eggs in a long time. i am pretty sure the eggs are being fertilized as well, cause i hada hatchling recently. i read someelse forum where there daughter could eat the fertilized eggs. and had no reaction. I have different breeds , such as bantams, red hens, a brahma, some mixed breeds, could it be one particular breed I am allergic to? Because we scrambled them all together, use my duck eggs also. I got sick when I have prepared them and i got sick when some one else cooked them. So just now figuring out the conection. I wipe the eggs not rinse in water cause i read u can push the germs thru the pores of the eggs, also saw something about scalding for 5 seconds or longer not sure, but iam just looking for any opinions or advice and not eat eggs like that for now till i figure out what is going on.. Iam not sure if its aallergic reaction or salmonella, i am concerned cause I dont want my kids to get sick Like I have. please help with any thing that could be useful. I am 32, and havent been allergic to nothing. So far, have two kids, had gestsational diabetes with first and second i seem to be having issue with my blood pressure, Iam not over weight and I do exercise I wonder if having kids etc has drove my system out of whack for awhile. exp, my hormones!! So all ides welcome as long as they are not ridiculous.

Okay, if you can eat them fine in other dishes, I dont think its the eggs. Different breeds dont matter, an egg is an egg. The only thing I can think of is maybe the eggs werent good. Not rotten, but not totally good. Or they werent cooked all the way, which I usually wouldnt think is a problem (Because of soft boiled eggs, etc) but you might want to consider it. I doubt being fertilized is a problem either, but I cant be sure.
Did your chickens get any medication lately? How did they test them at the show, and were they wormed before/at the show? You can eat the eggs after worming, so that might be part of it too.

welcome-byc.gif
I am sorry I don't know but I hope you feel better and nobody else gets to feeling bad.

Happy-Hens

Thx for answering but i havent giving them any meds. they werent tested for worms i dont think just a virus, i beleive was what they was tested for. the eggs are always cooked all the way, but come to think of it a hard boiled egg hasnt made me sick. i guess i will test theory when I am not already sick from what ever. I was fine till i ate the eggs this morning immediately i noticed my stomach starting to feel odd, like period cramps almost and its not time for that. nobody else seems to get sick when they eating the same eggs i eaten. But I think I will be getting them some wormer and maybe getting pooh tested for viruses, cause now iam paranoid. wecollect the eggs everyday, their enviroment is clean. Actually have yet to get a rotten egg out the bunch. but i guess its possible they not keeping as long, or just bad fo some reason.

You can have a reaction to eggs eaten in isolation, but not react to them in baked goods. You may have a threshold for sensitivity so one egg is ok, but several is too many. Also do try eating chicken and duck eggs separately to see if it's only eggs from one species that bothers you.

Also think about what you cook the scrambled eggs in, if it's butter (or soy oil or whatever) you could be reacting to that.

I have a neighbor who can eat store-bought eggs, but her home grown chicken eggs make her really ill... she's *really* alergic to alfalfa, and they feed their horses alfalfa, and the chickens pick through the hay. commercial egg producers don't feed their chickens alfalfa.

so... you might, as a test, try scrambling some commercial chicken eggs and see how you feel after you eat them. if you can eat those, but not your own chicken eggs, it could be they're free-ranging something you're alergic to. if the commercial eggs bother you, at least you'll still know something more than you do now.

Maybe you are developing an allergy to eggs? I know that you can develop allergies even if you were never allergic before. My son was allergic to eggs until he was about 9 years old. We found out when he ate a plate of scrambled eggs when he was little and took him to an allergist to confirm. Eventually however, he was able to eat them in baked goods but not like a hard boiled egg. BTW-When he was tested again around 6-7 years old it was determined that when his allergy was less severe, he was allergic to the egg whites, not the yolk. But now the allergy is gone and he can eat eggs, yay!!

Hope you are able to find out why the eggs are making you sick!

are you scrambling the duck eggs with your chickens eggs? I can't eat a duck egg, too much protein. No matter how it's cooked it makes me violently ill.

Quote:
this is good advice, in order to find out what it is, you really have to eliminate all but one thing, and see how you do with one thing. if you can eat a chicken egg boiled, but not fried, that's a clue. if you can eat a duck egg fried but not a chicken egg fried, that's a clue. if you can eat a commercial egg, but not a home grown one, that's a clue. food sensitivities are a detective game.

here's an example... I have issues with orange juice. I can squeeze it fresh and it's fine. if it's fresh squeezed at a restaurant, I may or may not be able to drink it. if it's frozen concentrate or juice from concentrate I may or may not be able to drink it. if it comes from a can instead of a bottle, I absolutely won't be able to drink it.

so... if I'm out to breakfast, I ask about how it's made. if its one of the "maybe I can" sources, and I'm really wanting some, I'll order it, take two sips and wait 5 minutes while I eat my breakfast. if it's going to be a problem, my stomach will tell me within that 5 minutes... if it doesn't start to growl and flip in 5 minutes, I can drink it. after two sips, if it's a no-go, breakfast will settle my stomach just fine. if I take that third sip and it's a no-go, I'm going to be miserable for the next 4-6 hours.

not sure exactly why I can drink fresh at home and all other sources are an issue, but I think it's two things - the citric acid reacts with the can and causes some change in the juice that's always an issue. and for the rest - if the squeezing machine squeezes half or whole oranges, the peel can release some oil into the juice. at home, no peel oil. so I think the amount of peel oil is the problem... a little I can tollerate, but not much before I'm sick.

Back
Top Bottom