I think my dog is an egg psychic

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
Throughout the whole process it seems that my dog, Leo, is becoming quite the helper. He gets me up in the middle of the night and insists we check the incubator. Until this whole incubation thing started he never woke me up unless he was sick. The odd thing is that when he wakes me, the temperature is always starting to stray, not enough to be dangerous, but enough to be adjusted. I think he has saved my eggs more than once. On the nights that I wake up on my own, he won't go with me to check and just lays in bed and the temps are fine. What does he know, and how does he know it? He is like a little incubator alarm. It's too bad I can't teach him to tweak the temps while I'm at work all day.
hmm.png

WOW!
You have a great dog!!!

My dogs would just not care and then recently they tore up my babies!
sad.png

Where can I get a dog like yours???
smile.png

Good job!

lol.png

Tsagirl,
He is a Lhasa Apso. They are known for their hearing. They hear more acutely than most breeds. Perhaps that has something to do with it. Sometimes deaf people use them as hearing ear dogs. I used to live next to a deaf couple. They had a Lhasa Apso that woke them when their babies cried or whimpered in the night. They would also get them when someone came in the yard, etc. Most of them are very quiet. They don't bark, they just come and get you. Mine is so quiet that when he needs to go out, he rings a bell hanging on the door.

Last edited:
I have dog trained for years and if the dog knows how worried you are about something, they think they need to help you with it. You have a great little dog there!

My dog knows when the chicks are going to hatch. She lays down near the incubator and doesn't want me to look in. She then holds vigil at the brooders till the chicks get big enough for the barn. She doesn't go near the bator till they get close to hatching. She is an adopted Border Collie mix.

Tsa-sorry about your dog tearing up your chicks! My father-in-law/sister-in-law's dog did that to my silkie chickens and a seb. gosling. I cried like an idiot for two days. (even my husband asked if I would be that upset if something happend to him, lol) anyway, now the dumb dog lays and sleeps with my two remaining chickens in the hay! I had pictures of it on my old phone, but got a new phone. Would have been funny to post. I think she is a border collie/Australian sheppard mix.

Hi! That's so cool!
My Darby is 'Chief-of-all-things-Chicken'. She never alerted me that bator temps were squirrelly, but goes on 'bator-watch' when the chicks are about to hatch and hatching and knows the difference between 'normal hatching' noise and a 'chick in distress' noise.

smile.png

Lisa

love.gif
I would LOVE a dog like that!! My great danes could care less, and let my chickens walk all over them (but are afraid of the geese!) My jack russell wakes me up when they're hatching, I think just because he gets excited when he hears them chirping!!

Back
Top Bottom