I think my drake went broody???

TheDuckCrew

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Connecticut
Yeah, i know it sounds wierd but i went out to check on the egg count in the nest now, and he ran into the house (we've got a house and a pen) and went right to the eggs and started hissing at me with his neck low and stretched out. i just kept my distance and told him it was okay. he wasn't impressed. he's locked up today because its the other drakes day outside.

at first when i went out he was in the house and when i looked he was by the nest and started hissing at me (he could see me through the door--opening--to the house and through the chicken wire on the pen.) my only explanation is he went broody!! haha. the mom won't even sit on the eggs. he's been by them all day!

i'm dead serious about this. could he be sitting on the eggs? he is awful protective of them. and there is no doubt, he's a boy.
big_smile.png

yeah i think he's just being protective but it was cute. he wouldn't leave the nest, or at least near it. i would try to sneak up and see if he was sitting, but he'd always hear me and come running out hissing.

aww. i was hoping for some motherly instincts from the father resulting in some babies!! darn.

although motherly instincts from the father does sound a bit off.....LOL

Back
Top Bottom