I think my duck has a scratch under her eye.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lauren2k, Feb 6, 2013.

1. lauren2k

lauren2k New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Kansas
    For the past couple of days I have noticed that my female khaki campbell has had a bubbly-looking eye. It's almost like the eye is fizzing. I gently wiped it off this morning with a damp paper towl and noticed that the skin below the eye looks scratched. Its almost a yellow, fleshy color. After I wiped it, it immediately fizzed back up again like it is infected. Do you think she might have just scratched it herself when trying to clean her face off with her feet? I don't know how serious this is, so I wanted to see what everyone has to say!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There is a condition called foamy eye, and it needs to be treated.

Storey's says "Usually, time and protection from further injury are all that is required. Twice-daily application of an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment to an injured eye sometimes speeds healing."

and

"foamy eyes can also be a symptom of infectious diseases. . . if foamy eye appears overnight and is not accompanied by unusual nasal discharge and/or other respiratory symptoms such as coughing and wheezing, then it probably is the result of an injury or irritant."

I would make sure she has clean water to wash her head in . . . make a it a priority for a few days. Some on the forum use saline solution or Veterycin for eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by