I think my duck is in love with my dog

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secretquail, Jan 19, 2011.

1. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Lucky has started 'chattering ' to my retriever! Luck bobs her head slightly, and starts talking to my dog and walking up to her. Kind of sounds like she's saying whatwhatwhat really fast! She's not puffing up or hissing. so could it be love? My poor Wile E is as blind as a bat and doesn't even notice the admiration!

2. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    [​IMG] I had a goose who adopted our white lab (the one who tried to eat her once) and they became fast friends...they even ran away togehter once LOL. The goose would follow and fly if the dog started running.He'd sit by her too.....I think because she was white too. The other lab was black and it ignored her......Love is blind [​IMG]

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    That's so cute! it sounds like my cat and my rabbit-they're like siblings, always playfighting and chasing each other around (the rabbit chases the cat more often, actually). it's funny how animals that would normally try to eat each other can get to be friends!

4. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:my bunny and kitty do the same thing. billy my bunny chases her cuz well he needs to be fixed LOL but they play together too it's cute

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm not sure if that is a come on or just a general flock bonding thing, but it is clear the duck sees the dog as a member of its "flock" [​IMG]

6. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Whenever my muscovy starts the 'whatwhatwhat' noise, it means she's either about to or already broody! Have you looked for a nest around where she's doing it?

7. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    my goose will slither up to my saint bernard when he's lounging in the sun sleeping and pick fur from his tail. it's so cute - she quietly squeks as she's creeping up on him. He doesn't mind it a bit. He'll just roll over and glance at her, then back to sleep he goes.

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Well, why not? My pekins are forever getting after me. They have recently started fighting each other over who gets to get closer. That's why they're getting girlfriends in the spring!

9. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Quote:Lucky is about 6 months old, and no eggs yet, so not sure about the broody. She runs into the woods in the direction of my dog when we call the dog to come back home. It's like she is going to fetch her! oh love![​IMG]

10. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:Ally will walk up and grab Jet's tail when she's laying around in reach. I have to tell the poor duck that Jet will want to bite back and has teeth. So far, she's only just given her the evil eye, but we discourage Ally (or the other 2) from trying to nibble on Jet's tail.

All 3 of them will follow Jet around though. They avoid T, but he's just crazy, so that's understandable lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by