1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think my goats in labor can anyone help wit questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by farm n louisana, Feb 10, 2014.

1. farm n louisana

farm n louisana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    Houma la
    This is the first goat I own I bought her n didn't knw she was pregnant wat r they signs of labor for a goat she has he milk bag n is really big [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    You may want to add straw in there if that is where she is kept. You don't want baby hooves getting stuck in those slats. Also, some does birth standing up and you don't want the baby being injured without a soft landing. [​IMG]

3. farm n louisana

Feb 10, 2014
    Houma la
    They have hay now they didn't have any when I took that pic

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Any progress? Goo? Hard contractions? Straining?

Labor can take hours, but sometimes it can also go very quickly. It depends on the doe. But if she is contracting, hard, with no progress, that is when you need to find out if something is wrong (which means you'd need to wash up, glove up, lube up, and check to see if there is a malpositioned kid, two kids coming at once, etc.).

1 person likes this.
  5. farm n louisana

Feb 10, 2014
    Houma la
    She doesn't have hard contractions yet she was leaking a lil bit earlier I'll keep u update as I go check on her tonight

6. Goat Lover 3

Goat Lover 3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    How exciting! I hope everything goes well tonight!!:)

7. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I'm curious, how is she? Did she have any babies yet?

8. farm n louisana

Feb 10, 2014
    Houma la
    None yet

9. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    The major way to tell if your doe will be kidding soon is to be checking her ligaments. Once they are completely gone and you can get your fingers around her tailbone, she will be kidding within 12 to 24 hours. Google goat ligaments to see what I mean. : ) And, yes, a doe can have contractions for about that whole time, too (mine usually are in labor for around 12 hours, more or less). Contractions include arching, yawning (a lot), and stretching. She may lay down and get up, lay down and get up because she is trying to get comfortable. My does start making little maa-ing sounds from the throat as they get closer to delivery. They may also start licking anything as the kids get closer to coming. Hope that helps!

10. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    12 hours in labor! :O I've always been taught they were supposed to be done in about half an hour, tops.

But I would guess you're defining the start of labor differently than I am, (?) since a 12 hour labor would often result in a dead or brain damaged kid.

With slow birthers, I use raspberry leaf tea. You can also feed them the leaves. Works with basically all species including birds and carnivores. It's also one of those things that tones the female reproductive tract right up again so you don't have females with that permanent obviously-was-pregnant-once belly. It also prevents a lot of hemorrhages.

Best wishes, hope she delivers a great kid or two.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by