I think my goats in labor can anyone help wit questions

farm n louisana

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
Houma la
This is the first goat I own I bought her n didn't knw she was pregnant wat r they signs of labor for a goat she has he milk bag n is really big

Any progress? Goo? Hard contractions? Straining?

Labor can take hours, but sometimes it can also go very quickly. It depends on the doe. But if she is contracting, hard, with no progress, that is when you need to find out if something is wrong (which means you'd need to wash up, glove up, lube up, and check to see if there is a malpositioned kid, two kids coming at once, etc.).

12 hours in labor! :O I've always been taught they were supposed to be done in about half an hour, tops.

But I would guess you're defining the start of labor differently than I am, (?) since a 12 hour labor would often result in a dead or brain damaged kid.

With slow birthers, I use raspberry leaf tea. You can also feed them the leaves. Works with basically all species including birds and carnivores. It's also one of those things that tones the female reproductive tract right up again so you don't have females with that permanent obviously-was-pregnant-once belly. It also prevents a lot of hemorrhages.

Best wishes, hope she delivers a great kid or two.

You may want to add straw in there if that is where she is kept. You don't want baby hooves getting stuck in those slats. Also, some does birth standing up and you don't want the baby being injured without a soft landing.
smile.png

The major way to tell if your doe will be kidding soon is to be checking her ligaments. Once they are completely gone and you can get your fingers around her tailbone, she will be kidding within 12 to 24 hours. Google goat ligaments to see what I mean. : ) And, yes, a doe can have contractions for about that whole time, too (mine usually are in labor for around 12 hours, more or less). Contractions include arching, yawning (a lot), and stretching. She may lay down and get up, lay down and get up because she is trying to get comfortable. My does start making little maa-ing sounds from the throat as they get closer to delivery. They may also start licking anything as the kids get closer to coming. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom