I think my hen is a rooster !

Queenadilene

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2017
I have two 6 month old chicks that I bought from a local feed store one RHR and one Americauna now I know when I bought them I was told they were both female but it wasn’t 100% sure . So now I’m sure my americauna is actually a male I believe I can see his tail feathers coming out with that green shine to them . How can I be sure and maybe someone can help me by checking out the pics and help me out please Tha

Attachments

• 66D997C5-5F59-4F07-A7E9-0383595CD0B2.jpeg
    66D997C5-5F59-4F07-A7E9-0383595CD0B2.jpeg
    531.1 KB · Views: 31
Here are the three things that I found really helped when it came to figuring out if its a rooster or not.
1) Is it jumping on the other chicken?
2) Does it crow? This is a pretty good sign that it is a rooster! :D
3) Patience, make sure you have patience for either of these signs.
I used to have a couple of laying hens that had huge crowns, spurs, and even green tails, but they were still hens, so you can't say for sure until any of these things are obvious, you just can't be sure.

Here are the three things that I found really helped when it came to figuring out if its a rooster or not.
1) Is it jumping on the other chicken?
2) Does it crow? This is a pretty good sign that it is a rooster! :D
3) Patience, make sure you have patience for either of these signs.
I used to have a couple of laying hens that had huge crowns, spurs, and even green tails, but they were still hens, so you can't say for sure until any of these things are obvious, you just can't be sure.

Good questions!

Also at 6 months they should both (if female) be either laying or super close to laying.

The pic is not the best.
The feathers look all messed up from either the bird fluffing or something else.

Can you get a picture of the bird while its not all fluffed?

I have two 6 month old chicks that I bought from a local feed store one RHR and one Americauna now I know when I bought them I was told they were both female but it wasn’t 100% sure . So now I’m sure my americauna is actually a male I believe I can see his tail feathers coming out with that green shine to them . How can I be sure and maybe someone can help me by checking out the pics and help me out please Tha
He’s beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom