I think my hen is egg bound. Everything I'm trying hasn't helped

They don't seem droopy. Based on everything mentioned, if I don't feel an egg, should I put her back in the coop? My main concern if she isn't egg bound is that she won't eat or drink and just spend all her time in her nesting box.
She should be with her flock, so unless you see her being picked on, I would say yes.
She will leave the box to eat and drink, it sounds like she trying out being broody. Let her do her chicken thing, if she stays in the box for a couple days, put some eggs under her and start making plans for babies 🐣❤️

She should be with her flock, so unless you see her being picked on, I would say yes.
She will leave the box to eat and drink, it sounds like she trying out being broody. Let her do her chicken thing, if she stays in the box for a couple days, put some eggs under her and start making plans for babies 🐣❤️
I just checked on her again and sat with her for a little while. Her tail actually doesn't seem droopy anymore and her wings are definitely fine. Some other comments said they separate broody hens but I don't really have the space to do so and she seems less stressed with her flock so I'll probably try putting her back. The dog kennel I have isn't very big so I'd feel bad keeping her in there for several days. She let me feel her belly and I didn't feel any egg or swelling. She wasn't having it when I tried to get near her vent but from what I could see without moving feathers around too much, her bottom is clean.

I'm assuming you've checked the vent and all looks normal? Have you felt for an egg? If you gently feel on the belly or insert a clean (like sterile clean) gloved finger very gently that is lubricated. Wrapping her in a towel and/or covering the eyes when soaking can help keep them calm but I agree with the above post that if she's getting overly stressed and not calming down pretty quickly that can also be dangerous too. When I was soaking one of my girl's feet for bumblefoot, she didn't like it at first but I covered her eyes initially and talked to her in a normal voice like I do when I'm in the coop/run and she calmed right down. Once they realize they're not being threatened they often settle. I found that I had to do it right outside run where she could see and hear her sisters. She didn't like being separated and alone. I handle my girls a lot so she was used to it, with a more flighty bird, it might be harder to calm her down. I hope you get this resolved and all is ok!
Felt her belly and everything seemed normal. No swelling and no egg from what I could tell. She wouldn't let me near her vent but based on other comments, I'm starting to think she might be broody. Going to keep a super close eye on her for a few days just to be safe but I wanna avoid putting her through unnecessary stress. Those tips definitely help a lot though if I do have to give her a bath.

I read a lot of things saying that it's good to give egg bound hens ACV water. Could you explain further? Not doubting you just confused. Don't feed treats super often besides fresh fruits and vegetables around once a week.
A lot of blogs, articles and posts are repeating info they heard, they never checked to see what the truth was or if it was safe.

Do broody hens tend to not lay while they're broody? This is my first time owning chickens so I'm still learning :)
They do not lay while broody. The most obvious thing to me with a broody hen is the way they cover the eggs and the way their clucking changes. Hope she is ok. If broody I take them away from the eggs for few days, keep the laying box empty when putting her back. Mine hardly leave the nest when broody and I worry about them sitting all day in the heat.

Back
Top Bottom