I think my hen is egg bound. Everything I'm trying hasn't helped

I would think she might be broody as well, except they usually stick their butts up in the air in a V shape, and cluck when they walk. If you think she is egg bound give calcium with vitamin D 600 mg. Broodies will pull any egg under them that is set in front of them. They will cluck or growl, and even bite at you when you approach them. Is she pulling our her chest feathers?
Also, if she is just broody, should I still keep her out of the coop? I'm worried that she won't eat or drink if she has access to the nesting box.

I have three ee’s, and two of them have always had calcium deficiency issues. They normally lay daily, but haven’t been the last couple of weeks. I’m convinced it’s the uptick in the temperature, getting up to 100.

Can you feel anything between her legs that would indicate being eggbound? Could she be broody? You might want to give her calcium tablets to help with the eggs. Good luck!
The temperature here has been all over the place. Yesterday was in the 60s, today 80s, and last weeks 90s. I'll try feeling between her legs. Easier said than done though lol. She's very skittish and hates being held let alone being touched on her stomach or vent.

I'm assuming you've checked the vent and all looks normal? Have you felt for an egg? If you gently feel on the belly or insert a clean (like sterile clean) gloved finger very gently that is lubricated. Wrapping her in a towel and/or covering the eyes when soaking can help keep them calm but I agree with the above post that if she's getting overly stressed and not calming down pretty quickly that can also be dangerous too. When I was soaking one of my girl's feet for bumblefoot, she didn't like it at first but I covered her eyes initially and talked to her in a normal voice like I do when I'm in the coop/run and she calmed right down. Once they realize they're not being threatened they often settle. I found that I had to do it right outside run where she could see and hear her sisters. She didn't like being separated and alone. I handle my girls a lot so she was used to it, with a more flighty bird, it might be harder to calm her down. I hope you get this resolved and all is ok!

My easter egger hen who's a little over a year old hasn't laid any eggs yesterday or today and I'm worried she's egg bound. She was spending all day in a nesting box and her bottom was moving up and down. I figured she was probably egg bound and wanted to observe her closer so I brought her in the house and put her in a dog kennel in my garage overnight. I tried putting her back in the coop this morning but she wouldn't leave the nesting box again. So, I brought her back to the kennel. She's had constant access to apple cider vinegar water and crumble feed with a crushed up tums tablet for calcium. One of her eggs that I cracked today (from a few days ago) was on the softer side so I think this is caused by a calcium deficiency. She's been pooping, eating, and drinking (while she's been in the kennel). Still, she's been straining every now and then and still hasn't laid an egg so I'm very worried. I tried giving her a warm epson salt bath but she's my most skittish hen and hated the water. I tried to hold her in but her wings kept getting lose and she'd fly out and get very stressed. I don't know what else to do besides waiting it out but I know it can turn deadly within 48 hours. Besides spending all her time in the nesting box when she's outside, not laying, and her tail feathers pointing downward a little today, she's acting fairly normal. She's not lethargic or walking funny. In fact, she's still walking around a lot and seems curious about the kennel.
I saw a video on you tube where they got a clear smallish bin with a lid, filled with warm water, cut a hole in lid, Placed chicken in with head popping out of hole in lid- lid kept chicken from jumping out, let her rump soak for awhile then in put her in a quiet warm place so she can relax, should help to release egg. Can also slip a bit of oil on pinky finger to help lubricate.

The temperature here has been all over the place. Yesterday was in the 60s, today 80s, and last weeks 90s. I'll try feeling between her legs. Easier said than done though lol. She's very skittish and hates being held let alone being touched on her stomach or vent.
Skittish chickens are certainly a challenge when it comes to healthcare 🤣

They do take breaks from laying, as well. Just keep an eye on her, are her wings droopy?

Also, if she is just broody, should I still keep her out of the coop? I'm worried that she won't eat or drink if she has access to the nesting box.
Generally, it’s good to have a separate area for broodys. She will leave the nest to eat and drink and poop. They are very focused while broody and will stay on the nest, for the most part.

Skittish chickens are certainly a challenge when it comes to healthcare 🤣

They do take breaks from laying, as well. Just keep an eye on her, are her wings droopy?
They don't seem droopy. Based on everything mentioned, if I don't feel an egg, should I put her back in the coop? My main concern if she isn't egg bound is that she won't eat or drink and just spend all her time in her nesting box.

When a hen is broody, and I don’t want her to sit on eggs or to get weak from being broody, I will place her in a wire dog crate or large pen with no bedding, possibly a roost, and make her stay there for 5 days to break her. If you do want her to hatch eggs, make sure that she is healthy, collect all of the eggs, date them, and then set them under her. But first try to determine if she is broody or just sick.

Back
Top Bottom