I think my peahen killed herself. ..

coltssuperbowl83

Songster
9 Years
Dec 17, 2010
Kingsville
So, when a peacock starts the breeding process is it normal for him to get aggressive with the females? Or maybe it just looks aggressive?
I went out to the barn last week and my peahens were frantically trying to get away from my peacock who was chasing them. They were all breathing hard and panicky. I separated them for a little bit and all was good until yesterday. I heard thumping in the barn and then all thirty chickens and the peafowl were making a weird alarm sound. So I went to investigate and found one of my peahens with what appeared to be a broken neck. All the birds were gathered around her. The peacock was breathing heavily. The other peahen wasn't.
I assume the peacock was getting amorous and she was trying to get away from him and flew into a wall and broke her neck. She had a few sores on the back of her head like she had been pecked recently. Any ideas?

Last edited:
So, when a peacock starts the breeding process is it normal for him to get aggressive with the females? Or maybe it just looks aggressive?
I went out to the barn last week and my peahens were frantically trying to get away from my peacock who was chasing them. They were all breathing hard and panicky. I separated them for a little bit and all was good until yesterday. I heard thumping in the barn and then all thirty chickens and the peafowl were making a weird alarm sound. So I went to investigate and found one of my peahens with what appeared to be a broken neck. All the birds were gathered around her. The peacock was breathing heavily. The other peahen wasn't.
I assume the peacock was getting amorous and she was trying to get away from him and flew into a wall and broke her neck. She had a few sores on the back of her head like she had been pecked recently. Any ideas?

I'll give it a try but, before I do, I must say that this is from my personal observations and Im not trying to debate anyone on their experience or experiences, Im just trying to help.

First we need to ask some basic questions, Im guessing these are India Blues correct? How many birds are in the confinement and how big is the confinement. If you had the rooster in the pen first and then added the hens later he might get aggressive over territory. Peacocks can get very aggressive during breeding season and sometimes you have to give the hens a place to hide until his moment has passed and it will as long as they are not overcrowded. Peafowl have a tendency to jump straight up when given chase and this can lead to broken necks and I hate that you lost your hen. If there is adequate space, you could move him out or if you are fortunate enough to have another pen, you can move them all to a new pen which usually means neutral ground and they should get along. India Blues need approx 100-150sq feet min per bird and this is especially true during the breeding season when the males can and will get aggressive. Ive witnessed birds that grew up together and seemed so happy until the hormones get crazy in the rooster and then all bets are off. I hope I helped to solve or at least answered some of your questions. Again, this is from my personal experiences.

Gerald Barker

Yep sounds like a broke neck. If you can't move them cut down a young cedar and prop if against the wall. Lean boards against the wall to make tunnels. Give them ways to get away from male and others; once they view one as vulnerable all bets are off and they will all go after it. It always seems to be worse at sunset. Like barkerg said neutral ground is the best option but if in a bind nothing works like bushy evergreens where they can rest.
Also if around when it happens stretch the neck and feel the vertebra to reposition. Had one do this years ago wasn't breathing but pulled out to see. As soon as I straightened the neck and pushed a dislocated disc, very slow breaths, had vampire eyes for a week both fully dialated and after two weeks returned to her enclosure. Been laying fine for three years but is still the jumpiest pea I own.

I have a very large open horse barn with an attached outside enclosure. I do have 30 chickens 3. Now2 peafowl and three ducks. But its a very large open space with no hidey holes because I don't want hiding spots for vermin to hide in. I guess I should add a hidey spot for the other hen so the same thing doesn't happen to her.
How do I know if it was aggression or...lust?

and yes...india blue. At least the peacock is... the girls were supposed to be too... but they have a lotmore white than him...

I have a very large open horse barn with an attached outside enclosure. I do have 30 chickens 3. Now2 peafowl and three ducks. But its a very large open space with no hidey holes because I don't want hiding spots for vermin to hide in. I guess I should add a hidey spot for the other hen so the same thing doesn't happen to her.

and yes...india blue. At least the peacock is... the girls were supposed to be too... but they have a lotmore white than him...

Sorry to tell you but from what i can see in the picture they are all males.

I agree with eyekey you, i see 2ea peafowl in that pic and both are indeed IB roosters.

Edit: i see 3ea peafowl in the pic, all 3 are ib roosters.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom