I think my rooster has an infection, help please

Katyellis

Hatching
Jun 6, 2023
My rooster was attacked a few weeks by a dog. I thought he was getting better, but then started limping again. He still has diarrhea, and he limps on his right leg..it's swollen and warm. Same for his foot. He must have an infection, what can I give him? He's eating and drinking as usual.

He needs antibiotics, you can order amoxicillan from chewy under the brand Fish mox though if there's a vet that sees birds, I'd take him there.

You can get fish mox at just about anywhere that has fish - aside from petco. Check locally because you'll want to get this to him as quickly as possible. If you've already ordered online no sweat, these tablets if stored properly can last a really long time. Always good to have plenty on hand and it is becoming increasingly difficult to find.

It goes by the name aqua-mox, fish-mox, etc. Just ask the fish store if they have amoxicillin for fish.

Most come in a 500mg tablet. Dosage for an adult bird is 250mg.

1/2 tablet 2x per day, or 250mg.

The last stuff I picked up in a hurry recently was 800mg/tablet and I'm glad i caught the difference.

You can get fish mox at just about anywhere that has fish - aside from petco. Check locally because you'll want to get this to him as quickly as possible. If you've already ordered online no sweat, these tablets if stored properly can last a really long time. Always good to have plenty on hand and it is becoming increasingly difficult to find.

It goes by the name aqua-mox, fish-mox, etc. Just ask the fish store if they have amoxicillin for fish.

Most come in a 500mg tablet. Dosage for an adult bird is 250mg.

1/2 tablet 2x per day, or 250mg.

The last stuff I picked up in a hurry recently was 800mg/tablet and I'm glad i caught the difference.
I'll get some today. Thank you so much

My rooster was attacked a few weeks by a dog. I thought he was getting better, but then started limping again. He still has diarrhea, and he limps on his right leg..it's swollen and warm. Same for his foot. He must have an infection, what can I give him? He's eating and drinking as usual.
Shoot - forgot about the wound

You'll definitely want to clean the wound as well. Irrigate it just as you would a human wound. Chickens get infections easily because they live outside, in dirt and poo so you'll want to keep it protected. Unfortunately bandages are usually out of the question.

There is a spray called bluekote that is a general "Protectant" like a sprayable bandaid. I would also recommend putting this on and/or segregate him for a few days in a clean area while you monitor the wound. A garage or something of that nature.

Bluekote is available at most feed stores. Again, I'd just call ahead and see.

Make sure you wear gloves when applying! It stains everything and anything (your skin) for weeks!

Shoot - forgot about the wound

You'll definitely want to clean the wound as well. Irrigate it just as you would a human wound. Chickens get infections easily because they live outside, in dirt and poo so you'll want to keep it protected. Unfortunately bandages are usually out of the question.

There is a spray called bluekote that is a general "Protectant" like a sprayable bandaid. I would also recommend putting this on and/or segregate him for a few days in a clean area while you monitor the wound. A garage or something of that nature.

Bluekote is available at most feed stores. Again, I'd just call ahead and see.

Make sure you wear gloves when applying! It stains everything and anything (your skin) for weeks!
Yes, the wound was on his back, and is healing nicely. I would put the bluekote on it. I'm assuming that's where the infection came from. He just isn't getting rid of the diarrhea and his leg isn't improving. Thank you for the help

Yes, the wound was on his back, and is healing nicely. I would put the bluekote on it. I'm assuming that's where the infection came from. He just isn't getting rid of the diarrhea and his leg isn't improving. Thank you for the help
Ah ha. Awesome sounds like you are on the right track.

The wound was on his back, but his leg and foot are swollen? Did he have a wound on his leg?

Back
Top Bottom