I think our hens will die if we don't out the rooster.

13hensandaroo

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 21, 2017
This is our 3rd flock and we've never had a rooster like this.
He keeps the girls in the coop just about all day. We have a small coup only meant to house them at night and to lay eggs, not to be huddled all day in the hot weather without food or water.
He is a Buff Orpington always to us a gentle breed, but this guy hates the Rhode Island Reds, and the Leg Horns. He's only slightly nice to one hen and lets her eat for a very short time before he chases them all in the coup. they are screaming all the time because he's grabbing them by the neck. The only place they can get away is on top of the coup where he can't get and theres no food or water there.
I have to go out several times to stand over them and let them eat and drink.
I've even shut all the doors to the coup so they can't get in and he makes them stay huddled just about on top of each other under the coup, not letting them eat or drink.
They are all the same age 16 weeks.
My daughter doted over him while he was young and I think this may have caused this.
Will he outgrow this?
Do I separate him for a time.
Do I serve him for dinner?

Could you manually remove the chickens from the coop? Maybe you could lock the roo in a dog kennel or something like that. I have no clue.

It can't be a predator that he is trying to protect them from because the hens want out.
Did you have to integrate him to the flock? Were there issues with the integration?
I had a friend who didn't know she had to integrate slowly and just added the rooster to the flock. The girls ganged up on him, he survived but he remembered who did the ganging up. He wouldn't let any of the girls that ganged up on him eat or drink, he only let the ladies that didn't attack him eat and drink.

I'm not a fan of roosters unless your breeding and need fertile eggs. I would not put up with him harassing my girls like that. If you want a rooster maybe get a more seasoned one that knows how to treat the ladies.;) He might be young a full of hormone rage so I would lock him up away from them so they can have some peace and harmony.

He came with all the girls on day one, so its not that.

We do have hawks, but not all day!

The girls obey him to their detriment and demise, I'm afraid.

something I thought about just now is ...
we put some shiny wind spinners and wind sock up to deter the hawks, do you think this has anything to do with his behavior? It has gotten worse since putting them up.

Back
Top Bottom