I think SHE is in fact a HE?

I always see the first saddle feathers come out in my Brahmas at 8-9 weeks old. Obviously they are not visible until you search them, for seeing them without having to search them you have to wait more.
Although, I believe brahmas feathers in quicker, it does depend on breed as well. Male saddles definitely dont come in that early for all breeds.

Although, I believe brahmas feathers in quicker, it does depend on breed as well. Male saddles definitely dont come in that early for all breeds.
Brahmas feather in incredibly slowly. I fed 28% protein and never had a picking problem, yet had a cockerel have a completely bare back until 14-16 weeks. Most of my Brahmas have saddle feathers under their main cushion of feathers by ten weeks but you would have to know what to look for and search for them. I would expect most any other breed (minus other slow growers like Cochins or Orloffs) to have them emerging by ten weeks assuming they've been fed high enough protein for feather growth. :) The 8-9 weeks estimate seems entirely plausible, especially if the Brahmas were from a hatchery line as they growth much faster than my birds did!

Brahmas feather in incredibly slowly. I fed 28% protein and never had a picking problem, yet had a cockerel have a completely bare back until 14-16 weeks. Most of my Brahmas have saddle feathers under their main cushion of feathers by ten weeks but you would have to know what to look for and search for them. I would expect most any other breed (minus other slow growers like Cochins or Orloffs) to have them emerging by ten weeks assuming they've been fed high enough protein for feather growth. :) The 8-9 weeks estimate seems entirely plausible, especially if the Brahmas were from a hatchery line as they growth much faster than my birds did!
Oh thats very interesting. I will check with my EE cockerel, maybe male saddles will be coming in in 2-3 weeks.

But, I dont feed that high protein. 20% is what I feed. I asked @aart a while ago if high protein caused any issues, but I never got a reply...

Back
Top Bottom