I think She's a Roo! Yep, She's a he, FREE ROO!

I'm betting hen, comb is small for that age for a roo. My RIR pullets combs are red too. Check the back for saddle feathers coming in they will very dark and on both sides of the spine. You should see two rows of dark pin feathers if it is a roo.

Looks like a hen to me... keep her around and let us know whether she crows or lays!!
tongue.png

I say roo.. it's showing a lot of super shiny feathers in the neck and up by the head and in the last picture of him, shows a lot of shine coming off his back.

Pick him up and lift a shiny feather and look closely.. bet you would find a pointy feather or a couple.

Sequin, the coloring on your roo is gorgeous! A couple people would kill to use him in breeding tests to figure out the genetics..

Last edited:
Cluckin'Along :

I recently purchased 4 pullets (My First!!)... I think... But Big Red here is sure starting to look like a roo.... In theory "She" is an AruacanaXRI Red, I have never had RI Reds and I 'm hoping that they are really BIG birds, and that this IS a hen.... But I'm having my doubts... I welcome any opinions... Once/if "She" starts crowing this will turn into a FREE ROO add...
sad.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24848_img_1309.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24848_img_1307.jpg

"She" is somewhere between 12-16 weeks old....
Thanks!!

Cockerel.​

Quote:
There's shiny feathers and then there's rooster/cockerel shiny feathers.. different.

I agree, I was just saying that the shiny feathers on that bird look much like the ones on my EE pullets/hens. I could absolutely be wrong about it being a hen since I'm not 100% convinced of my opinion, but it doesn't look 100% like a cockeral to me either.

i'm guessing roo...
due to the tail feathers and the coloring. it seems to have very deep red shoulder patches and goldenish hackles...kinda looks like roo coloring to me...but we'll see.

maybe some questions you could answer for yourself are:
1. take a close look at the tail feathers.....is there a gorgeous green sheen to them when the light hits them? if so, probably roo
2. look at the feathers on the back, are they super pointy or rounded ends?? super pointy could mean roo, rounded is pullet
3. did it feather out at the same rate as the others that you know are pullets? roos tend to feather out slower than pullets.

my RIR roos feathered out slower, but the greenish sheen was spotted way back in the brooder at around 7 weeks. and the size of the legs can also give you an idea of gender as well.

hope you find out soon, to end the suspense!
pop.gif

Thank You Bethandjoeyc, I will check all of that tonight and report back! Unfortunately I got "Her" as a 12-15 week old pullet, so I can't answer the feathering out question, but I will check on the rest when I get home!! I will keep everyone posted! Thank Y'all again!!

Back
Top Bottom