I think She's a Roo! Yep, She's a he, FREE ROO!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cluckin'Along, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    I recently purchased 4 pullets (My First!!)... I think... But Big Red here is sure starting to look like a roo.... In theory "She" is an AruacanaXRI Red, I have never had RI Reds and I 'm hoping that they are really BIG birds, and that this IS a hen.... But I'm having my doubts... I welcome any opinions... Once/if "She" starts crowing this will turn into a FREE ROO add... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"She" is somewhere between 12-16 weeks old....
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    it's a roo.

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Songster

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    yep a pretty rooster at that!

4. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    Rats!!![​IMG]
    I just picked up a beautiful Roo named Phoebe... I think all of my chicks are going to have gender issues..... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No question about it though, Phoeb's IS definitely a roo...
    and no Room for 2..... Hmmmm.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't think that it is a rooster for sure. Can you get a better picture of the hackle/sickle areas? That comb doesn't look as bright as I would expect on a 12-16wk old roo.

6. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    Here are the close ups! I am really rooting for a hen here, I would love to see chicks from "Her" and Phoebe!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    For all of those that guess that this is a roo, can you tell me why? I'm still new at this and would love to know what to look for in future "Pullets"
    Thank You!!

8. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I wouldn't label it a roo just yet...The comb is reddish, but not as big as most of my 8-9 week old EE roos...on rose & pea combs it's about the width of the comb...hens have narrower combs and the combs will get redder when they are getting close to lay, maybe she is 16 weeks and an early layer because of the rir in her...she may pop you out an egg in a few weeks!
    No crowing right???[​IMG]

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree on waiting until you hear a crow or get an egg. If s/he is close to laying, the comb would be quite appropriate for a hen.

10. Sequin

Sequin Songster

May 20, 2008
    I am not completely convinced that it is a roo. I would think that the tail feathers would be more roo-ish by this point were it a roo. I am leaning more towards pullet at this point. Though, if it is less than 12 weeks then I would lean toward roo. Guess you will know soon enough?!? [​IMG] My EE roo was crowing by about 8 weeks of age, and if my roo is around the same age as yours, his comb would still be larger and more developed and a deeper red. Congrats on your new flock!! Phoebs is really handsome!!! [​IMG]

Here's my boy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: