I think she's in labor!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Jan 7, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I think my Boer doe (goat) is in labor. She has been nuzzling her sides this afternoon and I saw her paw the ground when I went out to give them some hay. She ate, but she was very slow at it. She's normally a vigorous eater and wastes no time gulping it down. There's no mucus showing, but her pooch is pink and swollen (has been for about 2 weeks). I never saw the Buck breed her, but I estimated her due date based on their behavior as Jan. 15. That's next week.... pretty close. It's supposed to snow tonight! Ugh!

Am I just imagining things, or do you think she's in labor? [​IMG]

2. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I don't know anything about goats, but this is exciting if she is!

3. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Sounds possible, keep up posted!

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Entering a cold spell with maybe snow. That is when all goats go into labor right? [​IMG]

Matt

5. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    How does her bag (udder) look? That's always the tip-off with our goats... when they let down their milk.

6. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Our goats udder got huge just before she kidded... Which was, lucky for us, during a really nice day in May, with no problems what so ever [​IMG] It sounds very possible that your girl is getting close. She sounds like she's doing what my horses do when they're in labor. Keep us updated!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Mine's due Jan. 21, Jan. 15th would be the earliest she would kid, so I'm keeping a close eye on her. Pic? Before (just mama) & after (with kid)

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I checked her all during the night and this morning she is up and walking around like normal. *Sigh* She was just testing me I believe. It shouldn't be long, though!

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Best thoughts for your goat! I hope you end up with a lovely bouncing kid!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by