I think someone stole my turkey

Oh my goodness! I'm glad that she can fly to the rooftops for safety!!! When you get the next sighting maybe you can take along one of her friends to call her in or take a turkey call with you. God bless you both!!!

Turkeys don't wander off if they are fed and watered regularly. My guess is that it got taken, but not by someone passing by. Even if you never see wild animals, doesn't mean they aren't around. I'd say a wild animal had an early Thanksgiving dinner.

In my turkey keeping experience of several red bourbons and royal palms....the toms stuck around and the hens wandered off. Even when purchased as young poults when they got older we lost several hens to them wandering off. Only one hen stuck around with the flock.

Oh no. Hey we lost a parrot once. Put photos up like a lost Dog. it flew to a guy playing golf he took it home he saw the signs and called us. He said haw do I know it's your bird. He started saying "Pretty Bird" when he saw us. He never talked to the guy! So put up lost bird signs and see if someone will call.

Good she's still around. If someone calls in with a sighting, make sure you have some long poles (4-5 ft. bamboo garden poles will do) to take with you (more than one person so equipped will make the job faster). Slowly approach her with a sticks held out at the end of outstretched arms and slowly herd her into an open garage or corner of fenced lawn, etc. Turks tend to see 12 ft. of obstruction by doing this (make yourself very `wide' - easy to direct the `flow of turkey').

Good luck!

We made two attempts yesterday to go and get her after some neighbors called us. The main problem is, she's not usually on the ground. She's been running from rooftop to rooftop, and if you climb up onto the roof where she is, she flies to the next house over. I didn't realize how far she could fly (or high) until I saw her fly across two yards in one go. I'm really feeling discouraged about this, and I'm beginning to wonder if the only way to catch her is to call Animal Control. The only problem with that option is that I run a very high risk of having all of my birds taken away, because of the city's laws.

I know it sounds terrible, but I'm beginning to wish that someone who needs the food would just shoot her and eat her. I don't have the time or resources to track her all day, every day, and at this point, I'm worried that she's getting dehydrated.

Last edited:
RedIII wrote: We made two attempts yesterday to go and get her after some neighbors called us. The main problem is, she's not usually on the ground. She's been running from rooftop to rooftop, and if you climb up onto the roof where she is, she flies to the next house over. I didn't realize how far she could fly (or high) until I saw her fly across two yards in one go. I'm really feeling discouraged about this, and I'm beginning to wonder if the only way to catch her is to call Animal Control. The only problem with that option is that I run a very high risk of having all of my birds taken away, because of the city's laws.

Thanks for the additional info., I'd think I'd be either continuing to effect a capture/or shoot her, myself (not to mention covering any `guerrilla' turkey pen with flight netting ASAP). You're right, the turkey could become a `thing' Animal Control would call in wildlife folks to rocket net her and it would make the evening news (so close to Thanksgiving and all) and they'd send you the bill, fine you for the rest of your flock and take them away. At this point I'd keep the intel line open with neighbors (hope no one complains to officials) and try to get to her roosting location (what you do at that point is push her off the roof into a pool of flashlit lawn on the ground and grab her/ or put her down with a .177/.22 pellet rifle (a good one - quiet for in town work).

Maybe another member will have less onerous options to offer. And, again, good luck!

Last edited:
WE CAUGHT HER!! Thanks in no small part to some vigilant and very understanding neighbors, we zeroed in on where the turkey has been roosting for the past two nights. I had the pleasure of scaring a poor little old lady half to death (not really a pleasure) climbing 20 feet up a rickety ladder into a pine tree, and bagging my turkey with a borrowed fishing net. Very scary, especially since I got dizzy up there, but I was able to bring my baby home. Thank you all for the tips and support!

Back
Top Bottom