I think that my dog is a hatchaholic

Well I for one believe every bit of that about Leo. Dogs can sniff out cancerous cells, know when a human is about to seizure, why wouldn't he realize something is amiss with the incubator?

Just because it can't be explained doesn't mean it doesn't happen. What a good dog he is. And hope DD has learned never to bring her chicken killer back to your house.

Please do post a video on Youtube and post a link! I'd love to see it. My dachshund doesn't go that far, but she does like to look down into the incubator from my lap and watch the chicks hatch.

She is, however, terrified of them when they are grown. My hamburg hen was broody and flew out at her one day. Scared her to death and she hangs close by me whenever we're outside with them.
roll.png

Quote:
Leo is a Lhasa Apso. They are actually a small guard dog and a fairly good choice around poultry. I don't have a video, but the next time we hatch I'll try to get one. I don't have a digital video camera, but I might be able to get a get a short clip on my regular camera. I love watching him around the chickens. Especially my Buff Cochin because she gets in his face and yells at him.

My mom's last dog would have been like that. He loved baby animals. When we had pregnant guinea pigs and they got close to giving birth he would wake us up in the middle of the night to check on them and then would not leave the cage after they were born. Same with horses on those few occasions we would have one due. A few weeks before they gave birth he'd be up every night reminding us to check on them at set intervals. My akita doesn't really care. She gets interested in the bator during hatching time and has informed me a few times when our first pip happened but after she sees what hatched she ignores them. Unless of course they are getting too much attention from me then jealousy sets in and she has to pay attention to the chick too.

Hi! That's so sweet!
My Darby is like that about chicks and the incubator. She isn't much interested til they start pipping, though.
And not just chicks --- it's baby-anythings (chicks and ducklings and quail and poults and kittens and bunnies and kids). My Hubby says I ruined a perfectly good dog by turning her into a 'chicken-dog', hahaha.
smile.png

Lisa

I believe you! My youngest dog would sit on the bed where she could stare down into the brooder box, smell and kiss each chick when I picked them up. She's very good with th eadult chickens.

Back
Top Bottom