I think they sold us the wrong chicken!

She looks much more like an easter egger than a production red to me.
I'm not sure what you're basing that on, but here's the traits I notice:

Comb: Easter Eggers usually have pea combs, Production Red have single combs, this chick has single comb.

Muff/beard: not on this chick, not on Production Red, is common on Easter Eggers.

Leg color: yellow on this chick, yellow on Production Red, Easter Eggers can have any color but often have dark legs.

That kind of patterning or markings in the feathers is fairly common in chicks of breeds that grow up to be a smooth red shade, like Production Reds and Rhode Island Reds.

I'm not sure what you're basing that on, but here's the traits I notice:

Comb: Easter Eggers usually have pea combs, Production Red have single combs, this chick has single comb.

Muff/beard: not on this chick, not on Production Red, is common on Easter Eggers.

Leg color: yellow on this chick, yellow on Production Red, Easter Eggers can have any color but often have dark legs.

That kind of patterning or markings in the feathers is fairly common in chicks of breeds that grow up to be a smooth red shade, like Production Reds and Rhode Island Reds.
Wow thank you for such a well thought out response! I grew up with Speckled Sussex chicks, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Golden Orpingtons, so EEs are new to me. I read about them, they seem like a perfect little byc for Texas and I love the little beards! When we got home and I was looking at the chicks, I was like... "wait a minute," so did some Googling and that's house I found this website! Love it already!!

Hi new to chicken slang, lol! What does that mean?
@briannereese

Well, you have chicken math. Sit down, I'll try to explain. Don't worry, it's ok!

You know how little baby chicks are sooooo cute? You just got some, and they weren't what you thought you were getting. Do you get upset? Demand a refund? Vow to never set foot in that store again?

NO!

You go back and GET MORE CHICKS.

This is an example of chicken math.

Chicken math is a force of nature that operates on some people who have chickens. Some people seem to be immune. The information in your posting indicates that you are not, however.

Once you have chickens, you want more chickens. You find reasons to get more chickens. You may not be able to explain it to the CMIP (chicken math immune people), but we understand. Chickens are cute. They make breakfast. They behave in odd and endearing ways. There are colors of chickens you must get. There are feather types that appeal to you. There are different colors of eggs that you want in your egg basket.

This is just a brief explanation of chicken math. It can be different for each person. But to be clear, chicken math is NOT a disease. It is a chronic condition. Live with it, enjoy it. It can be managed, and we can help you if it seems overwhelming.

@briannereese

Well, you have chicken math. Sit down, I'll try to explain. Don't worry, it's ok!

You know how little baby chicks are sooooo cute? You just got some, and they weren't what you thought you were getting. Do you get upset? Demand a refund? Vow to never set foot in that store again?

NO!

You go back and GET MORE CHICKS.

This is an example of chicken math.

Chicken math is a force of nature that operates on some people who have chickens. Some people seem to be immune. The information in your posting indicates that you are not, however.

Once you have chickens, you want more chickens. You find reasons to get more chickens. You may not be able to explain it to the CMIP (chicken math immune people), but we understand. Chickens are cute. They make breakfast. They behave in odd and endearing ways. There are colors of chickens you must get. There are feather types that appeal to you. There are different colors of eggs that you want in your egg basket.

This is just a brief explanation of chicken math. It can be different for each person. But to be clear, chicken math is NOT a disease. It is a chronic condition. Live with it, enjoy it. It can be managed, and we can help you if it seems overwhelming.

Haha awe this is amazing!! I love it!! MUST get more chickens!! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom