I Think they will die!!!

disease...poisons...pesticides and botulism can be spread through hosts such as insects and larvae... a mouse that has eaten poison can shed it in droppings... get your birds penned and away from any source of possible poisoning or such as if they are adult birds and hanging their heads (I am unsure of this from your description in orig. posting) then this may indicate botulism... in that case a molasses flush may be of use (see below) and you can also add NORIT ( activated charcoal in their feed) ... you can basically only ensure basic support measures such as vitamins/electrolyes (ONLY if you suspect dehydration or see panting) and give a good complete vitamin supplement such as aviacharge 2000 (order online from McMurry or Strombergs) or similar nutr/vit supplement... I would also suggest you give three drops of POLYVISOL daily for a week then taper off (this is liquid childrens vitam A-D-B) and finally a vitE/selenium combination (ensure the selenium is no more than 50 MICROgrams) as this has been shown to help with toxicity and shock etc. I understand it is very affordable at available at many agways and walmart... combining the vitE with selenium is crucial as the two are interdependent on each other. Giving an antibiotic at this point without more symptoms to indicate it might be necessary would not be wise. Have you wormed them? if not then take a faecal and have it tested....(((hugs)))) here is the recipe for the molasses flush:
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/extsoln.htm
LAXATIVE SOLUTIONS

The following solutions or mixtures are recommended to flush the digestive system of toxic substances, most notably for treating birds exposed to botulism toxins.

Molasses Solution

Add one pint of molasses to 5 gallons of water
Offer the drinking solution free-choice to the affected birds for about four hours. Treat severely affected birds individually if they cannot drink. Return the birds to regular water after the treatment period.

As a supportive treatment for symptoms resulting from Cryptosporidia infection, often referred to as coronaviral enteritis, use:

One quart molasses in 20 gallons of water
Offer this solution free-choice for a period of up to 7-10 days. It is assumed that the molasses replaces certain minerals lost from diarrhea during the course of the infection.

Last edited:
I have some white crested black polish chickens that have done this also...I go out and they are hanging their head and cant walk and act drunk also...I think its the heat and their feed fermenting in their craws. I bring mine in and I gave eacha 1/2 cc of biomycin by mouth and a syringe full of water by mouth also and dont let them have any feed for a day with plenty of fresh water in the cage. They are fine the next day and are ready to go back outside with the others. Mine are in a coop area and they are to young to free range also. I have had 3 hens and 1 roo do this and after a day in a cage with this medicine and water they are fine the next day. I do keep a eye on them and check each morning and during the day also just in case. It is just the WCBP that have done this so far and my silkies are doing fine just the polish chickens so far...You might want to try this waht I have done and see if it helps ...it did mine...Good luck

dehydration will most definitely also cause this symptom...if it is hot in your area then you should be administering electrolytes/vit (feed store will have this) in their water.

Last edited:
Quote:
However, there's a lot of room in between battery farming and free ranging. A roomy henhouse and a generous enclosed run is both kinder than a tiny cage and safer than free ranging.

Quote:
Thanks! We did this Molasses thing, the very next day after you posted and the next morning they were doing sooo much better!!! Yesterday and today Dodge was even CROWING!!! The first in over a week! They are happy, heads up etc....
I just wonder what happened??? Do you think rat poison? I'm scared to let my baby chicks wander out back in case it was something like that. How would they get this botulism as you mention (is that from poison?)
Anyway..... it must have worked!!! We did sugar water, and this treatment using a straw to get it down them. I seriously thought they were on their death bed!

mice can pass the poison on through their droppings and the birds will eat it...do you have a pond or natural water source? In drought /dry weather there are lots of toxins and water quality issues that can also make your birds sick so keep them from it ...glad its better!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Spring,
How is their weight? Are they thin? I have a Buff Laced Polish pullet who has such a full, thick crest and beard that I almost lost her. I found her in the coop so weak she could hardly hold her head up. She was really thin and I could not figure out why. After dropper feeding and hand feeding her back to health and spending lots of time watching and observing her, I finally figured out (duh) that she was having a hard time finding her food and she was not getting enough. I gave her a "haircut" and trimmed the top part of her beard and she has not had that problem again. Another thing that you may want to check for is mites. They literally suck the life blood out of their victims, and a bad infestation can weaken and kill a bird. Good luck with your sweeties!

Lisa
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom