I think this 5 week old barred rock is a roo?

My neighbor suggested silver penciled rock but as a newborn she didn't look anything like those (I'm still saying she because I'm clinging to hope). Of course now that I’m comparing pictures she looks too black to be a barred rock either though my experience is pretty limited.

Attachments

• 198C21C9-1715-4282-9525-539546459CB8.jpeg
    198C21C9-1715-4282-9525-539546459CB8.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 3
I'm telling you. She's one of those weird BR's that TSC has been selling. I've seen dozens patterned just like her that were bought from TSC, sold as BR.
I recently found a site with pics of a bird just like that, and it's called a "Speckled Ranger". Weird. I keep getting asked about "Barred Rocks" that are actually these Speckled things. I can link it, give me a sec.

I recently found a site with pics of a bird just like that, and it's called a "Speckled Ranger". Weird. I keep getting asked about "Barred Rocks" that are actually these Speckled things. I can link it, give me a sec.
Pretty sure Emma found those too. They're a bit heavier and come from a different hatchery. She's got a thread somewhere about them.

Pretty sure Emma found those too. They're a bit heavier and come from a different hatchery. She's got a thread somewhere about them.
Interesting!!!
This is what I found about them with the following pic. It says that they're a Marans x Rhode Island Red hybrid.
speckledy.jpg

Speckledy aka Speckled Ranger​

Are you ready for your new favorite breed? The Speckledy is a modern hybrid, resulting from a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Marans hen.

They are elegant in build, with feathering that resembles a Cuckoo Marans. The feathers are silky, soft to the touch, and quite abundant and fluffy. They have pale bay eyes, pale legs, a medium-sized single comb, and small earlobes and wattles.

They are a docile, easy to tame, and easy to handle bird. They are good foragers and well suited to a free-range environment.

Speckledys are very good layers. Hens will lay 250-270 chestnut brown eggs per year, which are often speckled. Their eggshells are particularly strong and the yolks are a deep yellow. They may produce less than some other hybrids, but they will keep your egg cartons full!

Interesting!!!
This is what I found about them with the following pic. It says that they're a Marans x Rhode Island Red hybrid.
View attachment 2631975

Speckledy aka Speckled Ranger​

Are you ready for your new favorite breed? The Speckledy is a modern hybrid, resulting from a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Marans hen.

They are elegant in build, with feathering that resembles a Cuckoo Marans. The feathers are silky, soft to the touch, and quite abundant and fluffy. They have pale bay eyes, pale legs, a medium-sized single comb, and small earlobes and wattles.

They are a docile, easy to tame, and easy to handle bird. They are good foragers and well suited to a free-range environment.

Speckledys are very good layers. Hens will lay 250-270 chestnut brown eggs per year, which are often speckled. Their eggshells are particularly strong and the yolks are a deep yellow. They may produce less than some other hybrids, but they will keep your egg cartons full!
What hatchery are they from?

Yeah pictures of speckledys do sure look like our chick, and I also found pics of day-old speckledys that look exactly like ours did. I’m going to bet that’s what ours is ... now I just have to close my eyes and hope it’s not a rooster!

Back
Top Bottom