I think this is a Barred Rock but i would like a second opinion.

Oct 26, 2017
Ohio
I have a 1 year old hen that I think is a Barred Rock. But, there are a few breeds that look like her and I don't know which one it is. She's very friendly to humans, and she is starting to be nice to the other chickens. She lays brown eggs as well. Dominique? Cuckoo Maran? Attached is a pic (she's kind of going into the nestbox but :lau)
byc question breed pic.jpg
Any thoughts?

It looks like both my barred rocks except for there is the slightest bit more white, but again every chicken is a little different. But barred rocks DO lay light brown eggs, so I'm pretty sure she is. Also here are a couple pics of my barred rocks for examples.
6584D81E-609B-4C7D-895B-402E4CA54644.jpeg

D9CD6518-D7F4-4279-8A17-C0EABB9EF8B0.jpeg

Barred rocks have single straight combs, yellow legs with some brown horn color on the front, and the hatchery ones are not as distinctively marked. The breeder quality birds are almost striped with black and white.
A cuckoo Marans may look like a barred rock, but has white legs and skin, straight comb as well.
A dominique has a rose comb and yellow legs.

_MG_8967.jpg

Barred Rock Hen

Barred rocks have single straight combs, yellow legs with some brown horn color on the front, and the hatchery ones are not as distinctively marked. The breeder quality birds are almost striped with black and white.
A cuckoo Marans may look like a barred rock, but has white legs and skin, straight comb as well.
A dominique has a rose comb and yellow legs.

_MG_8967.jpg

Barred Rock Hen
As you can tell from the pic, my Barred Rock doesn't have a straight comb, it's flopped over.

Back
Top Bottom