I think this is a Barred Rock but i would like a second opinion.

Barred rocks have single straight combs, yellow legs with some brown horn color on the front, and the hatchery ones are not as distinctively marked. The breeder quality birds are almost striped with black and white.
A cuckoo Marans may look like a barred rock, but has white legs and skin, straight comb as well.
A dominique has a rose comb and yellow legs.

_MG_8967.jpg

Barred Rock Hen
As you can tell from the pic, my Barred Rock doesn't have a straight comb, it's flopped over.

Barred rocks have single straight combs, yellow legs with some brown horn color on the front, and the hatchery ones are not as distinctively marked. The breeder quality birds are almost striped with black and white.
A cuckoo Marans may look like a barred rock, but has white legs and skin, straight comb as well.
A dominique has a rose comb and yellow legs.

_MG_8967.jpg

Barred Rock Hen
Another 2 remarks if I may:
1.in cuckoo Marans each and every feather ENDS with a black bar .
2. there is another Bared breed which resembles very much to BPR, It is the Holand chicken with one difference, that it lays WHITE shelld eggs.
A Holland cockerel
holland.jpg

Female barred rocks generally have a black wash over their yellow legs. She doesn't seem to have the dark black bars that a female has. Seems grayer to me like a cockerel but, IF she is laying eggs now, that's a moot question.

Female barred rocks generally have a black wash over their yellow legs. She doesn't seem to have the dark black bars that a female has. Seems grayer to me like a cockerel but, IF she is laying eggs now, that's a moot question.
I have not seen her mate with anyone. I haven't seen her lay an egg, but I only have brown eggs laid in my flock (except for my one easter egger she lays blue eggs)

Back
Top Bottom