I Think Those Fluffy Silkies Are More Cold Hardy Than We Tend To Think

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
I have 13 silkies outside in an insulated coop, no heat lamp. They have been handling temps in the single digits very well. In fact, today it was -1 this morning and they all stayed out of the coop in the run for a few hours. Now, we have had TONS of snow here, so that snow has created somewhat of an igloo around the run which blocks the wind well for them. I just wanted to mention this because I see many people being told not to get silkies if live in New England. I think if you have enough to keep eachother warm and a somewhat warm/dry place for them to go, they will do just fine. So far, mine are.
thumbsup.gif

I agree! I have one silkie hen with a flock of other assorted bantams, 14 total. She is the most hardy, independent little thing I have. As a matter of fact, she is the only one out right now...all the other girls won't come out of their house!

ugh.... I hate this conversation.

Silkies aren't any more, or less cold hardy than any other chickens. There is a common misonception that because their feathers look like fur, that they are 'extra insulated.' In fact, its mostly untrue. They may be slightly more effecient at keeping body temperatures regulated because of the air trapping qualities of the fluff, but they aren't any different.

They should still be kept out of drafts, and heat lamps in extreme temperatures should be used. But they survive well into the northern most regions of the US, including Alaska.

Quote:
I'm sorry that you hate this conversation. I was not implying that silkies are more cold hardy...just that they can live in New England. As I stated, there are many who tell people on here not to purchase silkies because they can't handle the cold, but mine seem to do fine out there.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thats what I'm talking about. I meant I hate the amount of mis-information that is spread around. I didn't necessarily mean *you* directly.

Silkies can survive fine in the North East. The fact of the matter is that NO domesticated chicken should be subject to extreme temperatures without some kind of protection, and Silkies are not an exception.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats what I'm talking about. I meant I hate the amount of mis-information that is spread around. I didn't necessarily mean *you* directly.

Silkies can survive fine in the North East. The fact of the matter is that NO domesticated chicken should be subject to extreme temperatures without some kind of protection, and Silkies are not an exception.

Agreed. I have them in an insulated coop with about 6 inches of wood shavings and have been using the deep litter method to keep them warmer. Our lowest temps are around -5 or so and that is far and few between that we get that low. If we were looking at much lower, I would be putting a heat lamp out there. But, crazy New England weather....we are supposed to be up in the high 30's low 40's by Thursday! Crazy!

Quote:

I get you now! Yes, misinformation!

I have 11 bantams total. 2 silkies, 3 Duccles, EEx, Ameraucana X, a silkie x...and a few more. So far so good. I kept the coop closed up till it hit 15/20 here this morning. They were waiting to get outside! They are getting their fill of scratch!I think i give it to them 3 times a day, just to give them something to get them moving! I will probably have fat happy chickens by the end of the winter! One silkie and 1 Duccle are broody. I worry the most about them, just because they dont eat or move as much.

Back
Top Bottom