I think TSC pulled a fast one on me.

Quote:
Wing sexing only works on birds that are specifically bred for it. ost breeds are not. Not sure one way or the other about leghorns.

I have heard this argument before... and I must say that I have found it to be an incorrect one. I have MANY different breeds(SLW, GLW, BLRW, BG, BA, BR, EE, Polish, Silver Grey Dorking, cochin, Columbian Rock, + many others) of chicks and even mixed breeds and I can accurately sex all of them starting on day 3 using this method.
Pullet- note the progressed feathering and the double layer of feathers.
75928_ee-slrw_pullet.jpg

Cockerel- note the less progressed feathering and the single layer of feathers.
75928_ee-slrw_cockerel.jpg

This method is fool proof & guaranteed for all breeds of chicken.

Leghorn roosters show red in the comb alot earlier than the hens. Something else to consider is alot of whiteleghorns from feedstores are california whites.

Not all California White chicks have the black dots. Some dont have it, others have light grey to dark black dots. They are California Grey Leghorns from Townline. I think that is the same as California whites, just a different hatchery's name for them. And Livinwright Farm, thank you so much for putting up pictures. I was sitting there looking at my chicks wing and didnt know if I was supposed to be looking under or on top.

Last edited:
Leghorns (even the girls) have huge combs and they get them early. Wait a few weeks. Don't worry about the size of the comb, just the redness.. Here's my four week old leghorn pullet:

CIMG0736.jpg

That little lady has a very impressive comb! She's very cute too.
big_smile.png

I agree with the suggestion to give them a few more weeks and look for pink in the combs. That's a give away.

Back
Top Bottom