i thought he was a silver ameracauna but........

jbolt

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Wittmann az
His comb doesn't look right.......

That is what a pea comb looks like that has been mixed with a single comb so as to stand up taller on the head. He is an EE so probably has some mixed heritage in there with a single combed bird.

How many generations would it take to breed that out of my flock? I got him to put over some purebred silver hens, all with pea combs and slate legs. I know there's a chance that the silver color will be screwed up due to cross breeding, but I am breeding for olive eggers( Marian's crosses) and I want pea combs

How many generations would it take to breed that out of my flock? I got him to put over some purebred silver hens, all with pea combs and slate legs. I know there's a chance that the silver color will be screwed up due to cross breeding, but I am breeding for olive eggers( Marian's crosses) and I want pea combs

I wouldn't use him for breeding now that you know his background is mixed. The comb is the least of your concerns. He's going to be chaulk full of surprise genes that will send your offspring in all sorts of unexpected directions. It could even affect your egg colors.

Oi, what a crap shoot, that's the last time I do a sight unseen trade. He's a super friendly rooster, though sits on your lap, and eats out of your hand. I may just put him in the layer flock for a pretty boy

Back
Top Bottom