I thought I understood the basics...

Jennc-123

Songster
Jun 18, 2020
These chicks are from a white show girl. I thought she was dominant white, since they are splash I guess that was wrong.
I also thought the naked neck gene was dominant.
Can someone please tell me what is going on here?
20210711_190313.jpg

These chicks are from a white show girl. I thought she was dominant white, since they are splash I guess that was wrong.
Can someone please tell me what is going on here?View attachment 2756272
If your show girl is dominant white, depending on the color of the other parent, the chicks will be white with colored flex or even all white. This is how paints are made (dominant white crossed with black). These chicks are not splash, which is BBS genetics, completely different. 😊

What do you know about the father? Sometimes that can help with figuring out the answers.

It is.

So your Showgirl could have one copy of the naked neck gene (and have a naked neck herself), but also one copy of the not-naked gene. She apparently passed the not-naked gene to each of these chicks.

(Naked neck is actually an incomplete dominant, so chickens with two copies of the gene look more naked than chickens with one copy of the gene, but even one copy of the gene is enough to cause a neck that looks naked.)

Here is a visual explanation of the differences.

PAINT SILKIE: Note the crisp white with the black flex.
Eko4.jpg

SPLASH SILKIE: note the more blurred "splashes" of darker blue (grey) on a light blue (grey) almost lavender appearing background.
IMG_3233.jpg

As chicks the paints look like yours, white with some colored flex. The dominant white is responsible for the lighter skin as well. This will typically darken as the chick gets older.
The splashes are light silvery white normally at hatch and the splashes appear as the chick feathers in. 😊

Edited to add info on chick appearance.

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me what is going on here?View attachment 2756272
Pictures of the parents please?

Splash isn't Dominant White. Splash is the result of breeding 2 blues together, giving two copies of the blue gene.

I'm thinking both of your birds maybe paints, which are Black X Dominant White.

If one parent has a naked neck, & only carries one copy of the gene, not all the offspring will inherit the trait.

Pictures of the parents please?

Splash isn't Dominant White. Splash is the result of breeding 2 blues together, giving two copies of the blue gene.

I'm thinking both of your birds maybe paints, which are Black X Dominant White.

If one parent has a naked neck, & only carries one copy of the gene, not all the offspring will inherit the trait.
Thanks for coming to help!

Back
Top Bottom