I thought she was broody...but now

chicklover16

queen of flirts
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Em's Dungeon
ok, so here's what happened, my RIR hen has been spending all her time in the nest boxes and she growls at us when we get near her, I thought she was broody so I took her out of the nest box, she walked back in, I dipped her in water, she walked back to her nest box, I stuck ice cubes under her, she sat on them. yesterday I lifted her out of the nest box again and set her on the ground, she just sunk down onto the ground where she was, I picked her up and set her somewhere else, she did the same thing, eventually she just walked back to her nest box, every time I take her out she either just plops down where she is or takes a dust bath and walks back to her nest box, is this normal behavior for a broody?

wow, she sounds determined----- do you have capacity for chicks? Do you want her to hatch?

My hen was broody---and I got some fertile eggs in the mail. The day before the eggs arrived, she was actually sitting on the nest when she had heat prostration-- (It is just too hot here right now for living things). Luckily I was there and she was saved......but she did abandon the nest (it was non-fertile eggs at that point). And some of the fertile eggs I ordered were broken in shipping so the other ones were probably too jarred to hatch anyway. Kind of a total wash out--yet still a learning expereince. If you had chicks hatch now---by next spring they would be old enough to lay----

I'm glad to hear she is taking a dust bath! Sounds like she is broody!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom