I took My chicken to the vet

Tellynpeep, you are correct. I opted to treat Empirically with Doxy. They estimated 2 tests that together totaled almost $400. I went To Florida wild life in Deland and saw Dr. Holder. She was super! If she clears with 3 weeks of Doxy The Dr recommends I isolate her for additional 3 weeks. I got the impression that once she is clear of the infection it was unlikely she was contagious.
Thanks!

Lost a young Frizzle ( the one in the front of the photo below) to the heat today. She was sitting all puffed up in a hole she dug. Picked her up... she was hot and still. Fed her water and some yogurt. Gone in a matter of hours. Buried her today. RIP Marshmellow
hit.gif

Amazing how these feathered friends find their way into our hearts so easily!
100972_img_3050.jpg

I am fairly new to keeping chickens and shortly after I purchased a flock of Wyandotte's my Roo developed a swollen foot and limp. I took him to the vet here in Guelph, Ontario and she wanted $790 to lance and drain his foot! At which point I asked when the last time "she had had a $790 chicken dinner?"The initial exam, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory that I left with (Baytril and Metacam) cost me $250. So I came on this forum and after a little research figured out that he had Bumblefoot along with the step by step process to treating it. I am happy to say that it has been 2 months and he(Mr. Fredricton) is doing great.... and thank you to the knowledgeable people that care to share it with the rest of us... awesome site!!!

Thank you so much coyote for the name of that vet in DeLand. I live 20 minutes south of there and have been searching for a vet that treats chickens!!!! I adopted a dog from there a few years ago but never thought of them when needing a chicken vet!!!!

Back
Top Bottom