i used to like horses

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by miron28, Nov 17, 2008.

1. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    well i still like them just don't know what i did wrong!

last night about 1am i was sleeping my dog and started going nuts and my neighbor's horse started making a lot of noise so i ran out side to see what was happening and saw my other neighbors horse got again for about the millionth time. so i got dressed and ran down to there house and banged on the door but no one answer so i tried costing the horse on to my property with some carrotts well i guess he doesn't like carotts cause he wouldn't go any where so i truned around and started breaking up the carrotts and gave them to the other horse and not paying any Attention to the other horse and he truned around and kicked the chicken out of me! i got so mad i went back in the house and decide never to help out again. i haven't seen the other horse so i don't know if he ever went home.

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Never liked 'em myself.

3. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Excuse me? I'm not really following what went on here....

4. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Horses are intelligent and will not do what you want for a carrot!! You need to catch a horse and lead him if you want to move him somewhere. it is also very difficult to deal with horses in the dark - they are generally easily spooked and you would need someone to hold a light before you can catch and move horses safely in the dark. it is not very clear what happened here - but .......it does not sound like the horse was to blame!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, it's kind of dangerous to feed treats to one horse with another horse loose around you, because of that happening. If you're going to do it (and it is sometimes necessary) you have to keep a really close eye on the loose horse or horses, even if you are *pretending* to ignore them.

Next time, if you have a vacant horse-safe paddock you're trying to coax a loose horse into, use hay or put down a bucket of grain you've been rattling, then walk away to where you can watch and go close the gate if the horse goes in. If that's not practical and you're not real experienced with handling spooky horses in the dark then it might indeed be a good idea to call the neighbor and/or the sheriff and let *them* deal with the loose horses instead. Horses are big, and can get a person hurt.

Nice of you to try to help out though, and I hope your bruises are feeling better soon [​IMG]

Pat

6. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    ouch hope you get to filling better i used to clean stalls there was one horse that you had to wait for the owner other wise you might be going to the hospital the meanest horse ive ever seen

7. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

ITs a well know fact that if horses had the chose of fight or flee then they would pick flee,
    The reason why the horse was a mean to you is it didn't like your body Language, horses don't like some body language and even people.
    I have three horses, One a 7 year old, a 5-6 year old and a 3-4 year old,
    The 3-4 year old we got when she was 2-3 years old. she was a nasty horse. till on time we broke her angry. She is a very nice horse now, But she does have times.

One of my horses work on body language. We learn everyday.
    if you think horses are dumb will maybe you got to be with them for a few days spend time with a horse. In time you and the horse will be bonded.
    my family spent time with our horses and now we have no more time to spend on them, THey want more.

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    horses are wonderful animals and very misunderstood by many unhorse savvy people.

Like the others said, horses can be spooked easily, esp in the dark. A loose horse is normally a spooked or very spunky horse...at night I can almost guarrentee he's nervous.

Also horses can easily sense when someone doesnt know what they're doing and will act accordingly. Get on a non-dead broke horse when you dont know what you're doing and you'll be seeing yourself within a few seconds flat on the ground they're smart.

I deffinatly don't reccomend people who dont know horses to try and capture them that's asking for pain, or injury to the horse and you.

I remember when our horses got loose onetime, my stupid dad ran after them screaming (he was angry).....what did he expect? the horses to run back ot him appoligetically? nope he made the matter worse...the horses were terrified of him and picked up their pace. I know you didnt chase him just saying if you dont knwo what you're doing they wont want anything to do with ya lol.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I agree with the feed bucket suggestion. My dad has 2 horses and one pony. The pony gets out of the pasture whenever she can. Usually she finds a way to go under the fence (usually when dad forgets to plug it back in!). Just about the only way we can get her back in is with bribery. Thank goodness we have 3 seperate pastures (or is it 4? [​IMG] ) idk, anyway good thing we do. The first time I tried getting her back in where the other 2 were, stupid Friday just about got out wanting the feed so bad! I'm sorry, but this horse (Friday) is stupid and mean! He bites for no reason, has kicked my dad 3 or 4 times in the past year. I think he's just being ornery, but who knows? Dad blames the nipping thing on him being hand fed too much? Hope you only got bruises, and not any broken bones!

10. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:how can you not like horses [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by