I want a buff laced bird- how do I get it?

Mating two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes together will not produce Buff Laced birds, you will have Splash Laced Red Wyandottes. You need to mate a Gold Laced or a Blue Laced Red to a bird with Dominant White,

Clive Carefoot, in "Creative Poultry Breeding", talks of using either splash or dominant white for buff laced.

I had some white wyandottes of Clem Shaw's lines which were recessive white; some also carried dominant white.​

Hoppy I will try and hook you up with a white laced buff this fall, I crossed some exhibition line white wyandotte pullets on some of my BLRW a few years back....unfortunatly for me they were dominant white....actually I have yet to test breed a white wyandotte and get recessive white here in the USA. I keep this line of BLRW seperate from my other BLRW and I do get a few buff laced whites during the breeding season....

So if you can hang tight for a little while I will email you when I have a few for you.

Jerry

This is an old photo of two young buff laced wyandotte pullets which I had in an old email.
The pullet on the left is dominant white the pullet on the right is splash.
The pullet on the left was made from gold laced wyandottes, the right from blue laced red.

14136_buff_laced_wyandottes_left_dominant_white_right_splash.jpg

Doesn't look as if I did that right....I tried to cut the picture to fit
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's another example that might help: Gold laced Polish and Buff laced Polish have ALL of the same genes for the lacing. Except the Buff Laced have the addition of Dominant White gene, which causes the black lacing to "turn white".

In reverse, if you were to magically remove Dominant White from a Buff laced bird, the bird would instantly transform into a Gold laced.

So what you essentially is wanting a laced bird with Dominant White added.

The buff coloring on a Faverolles or Wheatens is completely different from the "buff" on those birds and in a sense, has nothing to do with the buff lacing. You'll never get buff laceds using those.... unless you added Dominant White (plus the necessary genes to make for lacing).

To do a personal test to see what type of white a bird has, breed the 'white in question' preferably with something solid black but anything with black somewhere on them will work. If the chicks come out mostly white(out of pairing with a black bird) or shows something such as white tails.. it's Dominant White. A good example of the latter is RIR rooster bred with a white hen(with dominant white) line bred for sex linking, resulting in the "white tailed red" sex links. This is the RIR coloring with DW added, causing the white on tails and hackles. To repeat- Dominant White mainly has an effect on the black pigments yet has little or no effect on gold/red pigments..

thank you all so much. this has been such a learning experience!
now i know that I have splash colored blr. (yes the hen in my avatar is one of mine)
I'm so excited about truely being able to get the buff laced ,thank you jerry.
doing the happy dance!
edited to fix spelling error.

Last edited:
Krys109uk
the pullet on the right is splash from a blr.
so how did you get this bird? is it blr x splash blr?
a person on this thread said mine are splash laced and I have 3 this color and one hen is the darker version (mostly red with the blue lacings).
so I will have a splash roo over 2 splash hens- will this give me the buff laced I want?

Breeding a white with a black, presuming the black does not carry a recessive white gene..... If the chicks are not white then the white is recessive white.

If you breed a splash with a black you'll get blue chicks
If you breed a homozygous dominant white with a black you should get all white. White which are heterozygous dominant white (these often have some black flecking) when bred with black, would give about 50/50 white to black. All things being equal.
Presuming the absence of other genes which might affect outcome.

Back
Top Bottom