I want a buff laced bird- how do I get it?

the pullet on the right is splash from a blr.
so how did you get this bird? is it blr x splash blr?
a person on this thread said mine are splash laced and I have 3 this color and one hen is the darker version (mostly red with the blue lacings).
so I will have a splash roo over 2 splash hens- will this give me the buff laced I want?

I got that bird from BLRW X BLRW. The parent stock were from Germany. They gave three distinct colours for black, blue & splash....& not much variation in the shade of blue.

If you put the splash laced male over splash laced hens you ought to get splash laced offspring.

I cannot tell, just by looking, whether the very pale blue lacing I have seen in some US BLRW is genetically blue or splash ....only a breeder could say. I never got any of that pale blue colour of lacing.​

Last edited:
I have posted my birds on my webpage. I welcome anyone to tell me if they are splash or light blue? I only have one dark one and she has a dq comb.

Hoppy,
IMHO the photo at the bottom of your webpage described as what you are shooting for in colour & pattern, is most likely a gold laced bird with dominant white.

About the pale blue BLRW on your webpage........What happens if you breed two of these birds together? If they breed true they are splash if not then they are blue

I guess I will find out this spring, this will be the first yr hatching eggs from these birds.
you have been so helpful, I cant' thank you (and everyone else that helped) enough.

I stand by my opinion that all of your chickens but one are splash. The other is black. It appears you have no blue. If you breed the black to one of the others, you should get all blue ones.

Here is a blue roo

100_0930.JPG

Here is a poor example of a blue hen (wrong comb, poor lacing)

100_0933.JPG

Here is a splash hen

100_0932.JPG

And here is a black roo.

100_0952.JPG

See the differences?

yotetrapper thank you for the visual that really helps. the black is my least favorite of the chickens as she also has the wrong comb type. I think after the hatches this spring, she will be moving on.

Quote:
Can't find a link to your webpage.. can't see your birds so I'll just answer this question 'as is'.

To get birds that look buff laced, you probably want GOLD laced stock. Red laceds have extra genes to deepen the gold color to that dark red shade. You'll just get at least mostly or even all "white laced REDs".

If you'd like a lighter/softer gold color like on buff laced polish, try outcrossing your 'white laced reds' with gold laced birds. This will be also a good proving test to see if your birds are genetically splash or have dominant white- if the chicks out of the cross with white lacing, it's DW.. if the lacing is blue then your reds were splash.

It still won't be that easy, you'll need to do two things- get rid of the genes that deepen the gold to red and then make the birds pure for blue(splash) or DW, whatever it is your birds have. At least you won't have to outcross to another breed?

Quote:
Splash x black= all blues.

White as in solid white chicken x black= ??? who knows. This is because solid white is not a color, it's simply a gene that masks whatever colors or patterns a bird. This means a white bird can be just about any color under that white..

If one intends to mean the usual 'whitish' birds out blue matings, best to use splash as not to confuse anyone.

Quote:
Splash x black= all blues.

White as in solid white chicken x black= ??? who knows. This is because solid white is not a color, it's simply a gene that masks whatever colors or patterns a bird. This means a white bird can be just about any color under that white..

If one intends to mean the usual 'whitish' birds out blue matings, best to use splash as not to confuse anyone.

my website is listed under my avatar
View My BYC Page

someone that breeds white wyandottes once told me that to get blues you just cross a white with a black dottie and you will get a percentage of blue- I had thought of using one of his whites in this case but from what your saying, this might not be true at all, just for the 2 birds he is crossing, not mine.

thank you.

someone that breeds white wyandottes once told me that to get blues you just cross a white with a black dottie and you will get a percentage of blue- I had thought of using one of his whites in this case but from what your saying, this might not be true at all, just for the 2 birds he is crossing, not mine.

Generall speaking crossing a white bird with a black bird won't usually give you blue. If the 'white' was actually a splash then this would usually hold true. But with other whites, it is only possible if blue is under the white & the other genes are 'right'.​

Back
Top Bottom