I want a cupola

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bammy, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Bammy

Bammy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Snow Shoe, PA.
    Anyone know where i could buy a cupola in central PA? Got a chicken weathervane for my coop last year and it is still not installed. Thanks!

2. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Can I see a photo of your weathervane, please? I got one too, but they're far more expensive than I imagined, so I got the cheapest. It's a little wonky, but I'm going to see if my mum wants to paint it up. She used to do watercolours when I was younger. It'll be a challenge lol!

3. BirdWalkFarm

BirdWalkFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hi Bammy ,

I too wanted a cupola for my chicken coop , but just about fainted when I priced them . I found an unpainted birdhouse that looked very much like the cupola I wanted to buy . I painted it my coop colors and put plexi-glass in the windows ( to keep out unwanted birds ) husband added a base to fit the roof . You can buy larger ones or smaller if needed . Found this one on Ebay . It does not function but looks nice , later will get a weathervane for it . It was 24.99 plus shipping .

[[​IMG]img][/img]
    [[​IMG]img][/img]

4. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    Oh my goodness! that is so cute! How very clever! Will definitely keep that in mind! [​IMG]

5. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    That looks amazing! You've got the cogs in my head turning [​IMG]

6. blessedchick

blessedchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2011
    That is beautiful! What a clever idea...and your coop is DARLING![​IMG]

7. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hi Bammy ,

I too wanted a cupola for my chicken coop , but just about fainted when I priced them . I found an unpainted birdhouse that looked very much like the cupola I wanted to buy . I painted it my coop colors and put plexi-glass in the windows ( to keep out unwanted birds ) husband added a base to fit the roof . You can buy larger ones or smaller if needed . Found this one on Ebay . It does not function but looks nice , later will get a weathervane for it . It was 24.99 plus shipping .

[https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/67664_birdhouse_cupula_008.jpgimg][/url]
    [https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/67664_chicken_coop_cupola_009.jpgimg][/url]

VERY creative!! I had been pricing cupolas on Ebay (and every where else) and finally GAVE UP!!! They are too expensive! I even looked into building my own and figured I'd just do that. (in the Spring) But this-- this is great! Most of the work is done and it's so cute! Fabulous! Now off to hunt down bird houses...

8. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I'm in Texas, and it just makes good sense here in this hot climate to have a "functioning" cupola. Not only looks good, but acts like a chimney to naturally draw hot air up and out of the coop. They are relatively easy to make...it's just a four-sided box to cover a hole in the roof (full disclosure: I just watched while my husband actually made it). [​IMG] It's the cutting angles and putting on shingles that took more effort...don't know what material you used for your roof.

I did things backwards from you; I got the cupola first, then decided it looked bare and needed a weathervane.

Anyway, here is mine (I made a quick BYC page for it), with a photo from inside the coop looking up at the cupola.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=101301-restore-weathervane-project

Best of luck!

9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh right! I've talked to you a few times about your coop and cupola project. OKay... right, back on track again-- it's just that the Bird House is soooo stinkin' ADORABLE! LOL! I'm just going to make mine in the Spring. My roof is composite roofing shingles-- like on a house.

10. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Hey Hawkeye,
    Yep, I'm looking forward to your posting your photos when your coop is done (well, it might be hard to say it is ever DONE. [​IMG] Mine's not.)

The birdhouse is adorable. People are very creative, and when you price cupolas and/or weathervanes it is shocking how much they sell for. So, making something is the way to go...whether functioning or not.

Well done, Bammy, for such out-of-the-box creative thinking! It certainly looks very elegant with all the curved lines and details. Very cool. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by