I want a good layer like sexlinks but...

Pics
Says one man. Not so much here in Maine!!! ;)
the Large Combs are only an issue for the first year.......
How does that go??? Location, location location???
I live in colorado and Love a mixed flock. One of my favorites is the ameraucana that I got from the local feed store, she is going on her 3rd laying season and we are still enjoying 4 blue eggs from her a week.... she took a little time off for molting but now she is going strong.

the Large Combs are only an issue for the first year.......
How does that go??? Location, location location???
I live in colorado and Love a mixed flock. One of my favorites is the ameraucana that I got from the local feed store, she is going on her 3rd laying season and we are still enjoying 4 blue eggs from her a week.... she took a little time off for molting but now she is going strong.

I don't know who posted that, but the large combs are prone to frost bite. During the first year, all those tips get severely frost bit, the tissue becomes necrotic, and eventually falls off. Thus, the heavy frost bite naturally dubs the combs. Better blood flow in the proximal portion of the comb the following year, so, what's left is not as apt to get frost bitten. That's one way to manage the flock... or simply choose smaller combed birds in the first place. Leg Horns do come in Rose Comb, but their productivity is slightly less than the standard white single combed version.

Chickenlovebirdchihuahua... Why do you want to tell them apart so early? Correct me if I am wrong other posters, but I am pretty sure that the sex link trait is only when they are initially bred.. and that after that I don't think you can reliably sex their offspring. Is this the case. Why is it that you want to sex them so early? (I can usually tell mine at about a 10 days). (Black Coppers)... I would think sex links would be long lived because they are sort of mutts. Mixed breeds.

Back
Top Bottom