I want a good layer like sexlinks but...

Leghorns. I don't consider them spazzy, they are bold and smart chickens and when handled a good amount they become annoyingly friendly. That same brash temperament is what keeps them from getting eaten by hawks---they are smart enough to recognize potential threats and try to escape, so yes, if you don't handle them, they will be flighty. My leghorns don't have names, but there is one called 'red paint' that's a real character. She has paint all over her back because she decided to follow me around and fly up on the scaffolding while I was painting. Silly bird isn't afraid of people at all. They are curious by nature and rather remind me of ducks.

Strangely, despite laying mounds of eggs, they don't suffer near so many reproductive issues as the red sex links. They are more efficient feed to egg converters too.
I have one white leghorn and 3 brown leghorns. Most of the time, they lay an egg a day. All just came out of a molt and are just now starting to lay again. I agree with the part about seeing predators before the other chickens. I was outside when I heard one of my brown leghorns screech. As I looked, all the chickens came running under the pole barn and a big eagle flew overhead. That bird had at least a 5 foot wing span - it was HUGE!! That leghorn saved a flockmate's life because she warned the rest of them before even the rooster did.

I have one white leghorn and 3 brown leghorns. Most of the time, they lay an egg a day. All just came out of a molt and are just now starting to lay again. I agree with the part about seeing predators before the other chickens. I was outside when I heard one of my brown leghorns screech. As I looked, all the chickens came running under the pole barn and a big eagle flew overhead. That bird had at least a 5 foot wing span - it was HUGE!! That leghorn saved a flockmate's life because she warned the rest of them before even the rooster did.
wow

I have one, I find them alright... Personality wise, I much prefer the BR or my EE, or the BJG. But, for egg production, the EE and BJG don't enter in the contest. LOL

I like my buff Orpingtons and barred rocks and My 4 EE's will be 5 yrs old first of March. They are laying still. Took a couple months off for molt and winter but have been laying again for past couple of weeks. I have had various breeds and my EE's have actually been the best layers, 5-6 eggs a week since they were 4 1/2 mo old. I am pretty sure they will stop laying this year, but maybe not. I have had several that when that little fart egg comes along from regular layers, at 4-5 yrs old, that usually was the end of laying for them. I have kept some for a year after they stopped just to see, and so far none started up again. I have others to feed and care for to maintain unproductive birds for very long. So to wait and feed one and just wait for it to die from old age, predator, illness, just isn't usually in the cards. We process them for consumption. They had a pretty good life, so ending it quickly and putting them to use is best thing to do I feel. My barred's and BO's have been good layers, just not as good as my EE's.
This is a good thread. :thumbsup

sexlinks lay for two to three years. chickens can live as long as a dog or cat. my cochin rooster is roughly 8 years old.
My favorite Rooster, Rambo, was 8 yrs old and going good, until he decided to fight 2 wild tom turkeys in my yard one summer. I rescued him, but he only lived about a week after the fight. It wasn't a fair fight, so I jumped in to help him ( with a club). He was a beautiful rooster and always gentle with us, certainly protect his flock the best he could.

My favorite Rooster, Rambo, was 8 yrs old and going good, until he decided to fight 2 wild tom turkeys in my yard one summer. I rescued him, but he only lived about a week after the fight. It wasn't a fair fight, so I jumped in to help him ( with a club). He was a beautiful rooster and always gentle with us, certainly protect his flock the best he could.
Im so sorry

Back
Top Bottom