I want calm Bakcyard Chicken breed, any tips?

Supposedly, according the breeder, told me my Black Stars are sex linked, just like the Red Star.

I don't know about eating more? All my chickens seem to eat the same, and all lay like crazy. I have a Silkie, Buff Orpington, Sussex, EE, RIR, and three Black Stars. The reason I wanted a Black Start was to be sure I didn't get a rooster.

Twice, when I bought day old chicks that were supposed to have been sexed, I got two roosters. It broke my heart as I had them three months before I could tell. By that time I'd fallen in love with them and wanted to be sure they went to a good home to live out their lives. It was so difficult I can't risk it any more, hence either a sex linked or three-month old pullet.

Are the Black Stars or Sex link noisy birds or calm?
I have no complains about the Red Sex Link, just they are more prone to pecking and drawing blood, like cannibals.
I heard the Blacks are less prone to that behaviour.

Buff orpingtons are excellent companion chickens. They can turn into lap babies also. They are sweet and lay very nice large to xlarge brown,eggs.

problem is no one sells these buff orphington hens around me. They have a nice golden colour. They look like they put on fat though from pics on google.

They have a more rounded body than alot of breeds which can give the perception that they are chunky . Ours are a year old and not excessively fat.

My Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps are quiet compared to my Rhode Island Red ladies and Americaunas.

problem is no one sells these buff orphington hens around me.  They have a nice golden colour.  They look like they put on fat though from pics on google.

My Orps looked like very large girls, until you picked one up. They are deceptively fluffy. I remember when we butchered some excess BO roos, I plucked them and was quite disappointed with what was left after everything was said and done :/

I have 4 Lowmann Brown hens. I've only had them for a week but 2 of them started laying 3 days ago. I've been getting 2 eggs a day. As for noise, I have yet to hear anything other than quiet "boks" now and then when I get close and they want a treat.

Do Buff Orphingtons pick feathers, or show any signs of cannibalistic behaviour?
can they take confinement?
RSL can take some confinement, but you have to keep the meals coming throughout the day and do something to keep them occupied.

I have a Buff Orpington and she is my sweet lap chickent. My Speckled Sussex and Black SL are also very friendly and not very loud. I highly recommend all 3!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom