I want ducks again...

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I want ducks again, as I had them last year (I have chickens and a rabbit now, as well as recently lost some quail to a fox.) I had planned just to get quail again, but I think I want to try ducks again. However their poop is so runny and that was such a turn-off for me, especially as I don't have running water by my coops. :confused:
My biggest concern is the runny poop and water playing. How can I deal with this? Perhaps I can keep them outside constantly? I am not too sure what to do as my coops are wood, although my new one is painted (for the chickens.)
I want either Cayugas or Muscovies, but I am thinking Muscovies. My only concern is if they taste ducklike, or not, and if they can brood and raise chicken babies. Are they going to seek a perch?
If I were to keep ducks again how can I cope with the mess and perhaps I could get one hen, as a broody and a pet, to keep with my chickens? Do they have to have water 24/7 to clean their beaks or can I remove it from their coop completely except during the day?

Ducks are messy, I haven't found any good ways of dealing with it. I use buckets for water and dump them out twice a day. I put their pool further out away from the shed so that mess is away from the shed. Muscovy require a shed to roost in, mine have never roosted outside. I personally wouldn't use them to hatch chickens, chickens are better at that. They do taste duck like, well because they are ducks.

Ducks are messy, I haven't found any good ways of dealing with it. I use buckets for water and dump them out twice a day. I put their pool further out away from the shed so that mess is away from the shed. Muscovy require a shed to roost in, mine have never roosted outside. I personally wouldn't use them to hatch chickens, chickens are better at that. They do taste duck like, well because they are ducks.

I do want to try a muscovy or two, I am just not sure.

Back
Top Bottom